GLAISDALE HEAD METHODIST CHURCH AND WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148582

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1990

Statutory Address: GLAISDALE HEAD METHODIST CHURCH AND WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLAISDALE HEAD METHODIST CHURCH AND WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 17:02:45.

Location

Statutory Address: GLAISDALE HEAD METHODIST CHURCH AND WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Glaisdale

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 75797 04411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 70 SE GLAISDALE GLAISDALE SIDE

Glaisdale Head Methodist 12/97 Church and walls 6/10/69 (formerly listed as Methodist Chapel)

GV II

Chapel with manse attached (though not now occupied). 1821, dated on wall plaque, with extensions of 1850 to manse (dated on gate pier). Coursed herringbone-tooled sandstone. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone dressings; purple slate roof on manse extension. Chapel 1 tall storey, 2 bays square, partly concealed from road by projecting gabled manse bay; with added parallel adjoining manse bay, projecting yet further, on the right.

On east gable end chapel has 2 tall round-arched sashes with glazing bars and interlaced heads; cut voussoirs. A similar window on north and south faces. On west face a small gabled porch with doors in 2 sides. Plaque above with oval panel and fan spandrels. (cf. Lealholm Methodist Church) inscribed: Methodist Church, erected by subscription for the sacred worshop of God, Anno Domini 1821. Blocked window above and small roundel in gable end. Plain interior with pulpit against south wall, curved benches raked around north and east, and moveable choir benches at west.

Original attached manse 2 storeys and basement (through slope of ground), 1 gabled bay to road. Steps to door in inner corner. A late C19 sash on each floor to right, and small basement light. Storeroom door below steps. Gable end has basement door and one high window. Parallel projecting east manse extension with steps to door in angle, late C19 sashes to right, and rock-faced plinth.

Front garden wall with heavy flat coping. At left of steps to chapel door a big square dated pier, with domed square cap, supports railings with curved heads, protecting the way up to the chapel.

Listing NGR: NZ7579704411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328016

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing