FORMER CANAL WAREHOUSE AND THE WHARF MANAGER'S HOUSE NOW BOTH PART OF PREMISES OF CANAL SAW MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149380

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: FORMER CANAL WAREHOUSE AND THE WHARF MANAGER'S HOUSE NOW BOTH PART OF PREMISES OF CANAL SAW MILLS, CANAL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CANAL WAREHOUSE AND THE WHARF MANAGER'S HOUSE NOW BOTH PART OF PREMISES OF CANAL SAW MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 09:03:52.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CANAL WAREHOUSE AND THE WHARF MANAGER'S HOUSE NOW BOTH PART OF PREMISES OF CANAL SAW MILLS, CANAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Ripon

National Grid Reference: SE 31551 70845

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3170 RIPON CANAL ROAD 5/150 (North side)

18.7.73 Former Canal Warehouse (formerly listed as Warehouse of Alltons Ltd) 12.10.77 and the Wharf Manager's House now both part of premises of Canal Saw Mills

GV II

Probably 1770-3. Designed either by John Smeaton, William Jessop, John Smith or Joshua Wilson (see below). Hammer-dressed red sandstone, partly roughcast. Double hipped pantile roof. Two storeys. Wharf site has 2 bays, each with waggon entrance on ground floor and loading doors above, that on east side reached by external red brick staircase. Road side has casements with glazing bars.

Wharf manager's house is roughcast with pantile roof. Two storeys. Three bays: sashes with glazing bars, central first floor window blind. Door with 6 fielded panels and oblong fanlight with glazing bars. Staircase window with glazing bars on road side.

History. The Act for the Ure Navigation was passed in 1767. Cutting of the Ripon Canal began early in 1770 and it opened early in 1773. Surveyor: William Jessop, supervised by John Smeaton. Resident engineer: John Smith. Masonry contractor Joshua Wilson of Halifax. A warehouse was in existence in 1781, so this building is most likely to be that.

Alternatively, the building could be part of the Aire and Calder Navigations scheme for a wharf at Ripon in 1789. But it is not known whether this was completed.

Listing NGR: SE3155170845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330027

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing