PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149827

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: PARK HOUSE, FOUNTAINS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:06:09.

Location

Statutory Address: PARK HOUSE, FOUNTAINS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite

National Grid Reference: SE 26687 67663

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH FOUNTAINS LANE WALLERTHWAITE (west side, off)

5/59 Park House

6.3.57 - II

Farmhouse. C17 and 1810. Coursed squared gritstone and coursed gritstone rubble, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. South front: bay to right is remnant of a C17 house, the left 2 bays and the third storey overall is a rebuild of 1810. Quoins to left. C20 6-panel door between bays to left has sawn stone surround and a date stone above inscribed 'T. Athorpe Esqr 1810'. A large stone above has a carving in relief of a shield with lion rampant. Flanking and first-floor windows have 16-pane C20 pivoting frames in sawn stone surrounds. Bay to right has cross-window to ground and first floor, both considerably restored. Kneeler and gable coping to left; roof hipped to right. Stacks to right end and centre. Rear: C20 porch with large external stack to left, C19 and C20 windows to right. Left return: stone steps up to door in gable. Right return: central C20 door with almost flat-arched chamfered stone lintel and jambs, weathered datestone set into top of lintel. Corbelled base of external stack to first-floor fireplace above the door. To right: 3-light recessed mullion and transom window, a 2- light and a single-light mullioned window to first floor, and a 16-pane window to second floor. Interior: ground floor, restored C20, has open fireplace with cambered arch of voussoirs (restored) in room to left. The second floor was built as a storage chamber with access from the external stairs at the west end. The roof is divided by 5 oak trusses, the timbers of slight scantling and thickened at the joints. The tie beam has a king- post supporting a collar with another post above, and 3 diagonal braces extend from king posts to principal rafters which carry 4 sets of purlins. An excellent closely-dated roof. B Harrison and B Hutton, Vernacular Houses in North Yorkshire and Cleveland, 1984 p 181. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report Number 40 (1975).

Listing NGR: SE2668767663

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330980

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, B, Hutton, B, Vernacular Houses in North Yorkshire and Cleveland, (1984), 181
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in Report Number 40, (1975)

End of official listing