DAM AT SOUTH END OF LAKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149840

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: DAM AT SOUTH END OF LAKE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DAM AT SOUTH END OF LAKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149840 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 09:34:53.

Location

Statutory Address: DAM AT SOUTH END OF LAKE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Plompton

National Grid Reference: SE 35533 53617

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 35 SE PLOMPTON PLOMPTON ROCKS

5/241 Dam at south end of Lake

GV II

Dam. c.1760. For Daniel Lascelles, probably by John Carr. Coursed gritstone with extensive rock-faced rustication. Approximately 70 metres long, 5 metres high and 6 metres wide. Symmetrical south-facing facade composed of: central round arched recess flanked by (in order) - large buttress, walling (with iron valve to left), buttress, wall with circular recess, buttress, walling and outer buttress. Remains of low parapet with flat coping. The arched recesses have projecting keystones and voussoirs; buttresses have heavy banded rustication, the outer pair with large banded ball finials. Several stone-lined channels carry water away from the south side of the dam and much of the parapet, including at least one ball finial, has fallen down into this area. The dam is thickly overgrown with creepers and trees. John Carr submitted a design for the dam head in 1755 and although it is claimed that it was never built (Wragg p15) the extant remains are very similar to it. R B Wragg, 'John Carr: Gothic Revivalist'in W A Singleton (ed), Studies in Architectural History, Vol II, pp 9-34.

Listing NGR: SE3553353617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330912

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Singleton, WA, Studies in Architectural History9-34

End of official listing