CASTLE MILL BUILDING TO NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149864

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: CASTLE MILL BUILDING TO NORTH, WATERSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE MILL BUILDING TO NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 17:10:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CASTLE MILL BUILDING TO NORTH, WATERSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Knaresborough

National Grid Reference: SE3479156843

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH

WATERSIDE (south side)

8/206 25.3.83

Castle Mill: building to north, (formerly listed as Block A under Castle Mills (consisting of blocks A to E))

II GV

Mill building. Late C18 and C19. Coursed gritstone and brick in random bond. Pantile and Westmorland slate roof. This block is situated along the road side and follows the curve of the road. 3 storeys, 10 bays, with 2- storey, 3-bay brick addition at north end, not of special interest. West facade (towards river): ground-floor openings all boarded over; first floor: 6 sashes with glazing bars to left, 3 side-sliding sashes and a 16-pane sash to right. Second floor: 11 square windows, most of 5 fixed panes. There is a straight joint in the building between the 3 windows to right, and those to left; the roofing is continuous. East (road) side: blocked openings at ground-floor level. First-floor loading door, blocked windows to second floor. South gable end: stone ground floor with blocked window. Wooden lintel at first-floor level; upper 2 storeys brick. Second floor: boarded 2-light window with cambered header arch. Notice erected by Knaresborough Historical Society: 'Castle Mill, built in 1791 as a cotton mill, soon became the centre of the towns most thriving industry, the linen trade. Linen was woven in this mill until 1972'. A sign-board above was erected by Walton and Co who manufactured 'Knaresborough' linens. Low 2-storey brick porch with board door, wooden lintel, and small square window links this building with another range to south-west (q.v.). Interior not inspected. This building is probably the new cotton mill opened in September 1791 after an agreement to build one was drawn up between John and Charles Lomas, who ran the paper mill and water-works on the site, and Robert Thornton, a cotton spinner of Airton, near Skipton. The structure might previously have been used as a paper mill, and adapted to new use shortly after November 1790 when a new water wheel was planned. Castle Mills was converted to flax spinning for linen in 1811 and Walton and Company leased it in 1847 for yarn spinning and power loom weaving, which took place in other buildings on the site. Linen production ceased in 1972 and Walton left the site in 1984. E Hargrove, The Castle, Town and Forest of Knaresborough, 1809, p 55. B Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, pp 264, 316, 321 and 438.

Listing NGR: SE3479156843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330876

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hargrove, E , History of the Castle Town and Forest of Knaresborough, (1809), 55
Jennings, B, A History of Harrogate and Knaresborough, (1970), 264,316
Jennings, B, A History of Harrogate and Knaresborough, (1970), 321,438

End of official listing