This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ARCHWAY WITH GATES AND FLANKING WALLS AND INNER, FREESTANDING ARCHWAY TO THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ARCHWAY WITH GATES AND FLANKING WALLS AND INNER, FREESTANDING ARCHWAY TO THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1149980

Location

ARCHWAY WITH GATES AND FLANKING WALLS AND INNER, FREESTANDING ARCHWAY TO THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Spofforth with Stockeld

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330543

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPOFFORTH WITH STOCKELD

334/3/75 CHURCH LANE 25-APR-52 (South side) ARCHWAY WITH GATES AND FLANKING WALLS AND INNER, FREESTANDING, ARCHWAY TO TH E OLD RECTORY (Formerly listed as: CHURCH LANE PRECINCT WALL AT RECTORY)

GV II Section of boundary wall and a pair of reused medieval archways forming a carriage entrance to the Old Rectory. Sandstone with wrought iron gates.

DESCRIPTION The arch in the boundary wall is four centred, formed with voussoirs that are double chamfered externally and single chamfered internally. The inner skin of the wall is supported by a separate, higher arch that is two centred, springing from imposts. The arch is set in a section of boundary wall constructed with mainly large, coursed, squared sandstone blocks. The wall is coped with flagstones and steps up over the arch. There are marked butt joints around 5-6m from the archway to both east and west, with the style of the boundary wall changing slightly. The rest of the boundary wall is not included within this listing but will fall within the curtilage of the Old Rectory. The archway is enclosed by a pair of wrought iron gates with the lower section barred, the upper part infilled with scrollwork. These gates are probably C20 replacements of earlier gates.

The freestanding arch is ungated and spans the same driveway as the arch through the boundary wall. It lies about 5m inside the boundary. It is also four centred, but almost segmental. It is formed from voussoirs that have a very slight, plain chamfer to both faces.

HISTORY Both archways are medieval, but neither may be in their original locations. The inner, freestanding archway has certainly been moved. This is thought to have taken place in 1928 after its discovery within the structure of a stable undergoing demolition. It is possible that the outer archway is in its original location. There is a local tradition that Spofforth House, The Old Rectory, is built on the site of a medieval hospital dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, and that the wall and archway is part of a precinct boundary. Although mainly C18, the Old Rectory is of medieval origin and includes a blocked, west facing window with C14 plate tracery. However the claim that it was a hospital is unsubstantiated. For instance, Spofforth is not included in Bottomley's 2002 gazetteer of medieval hospitals in Yorkshire. There is an alternative and probably more likely suggestion that the archway was originally part of Spofforth Castle, which has been ruined since the mid-C17 after being slighted during the English Civil War, and was moved to its current location by a former Rector to aggrandise his house, possibly c1700.

SOURCES Bottomley, F 2002 "Medieval Hospitals of Yorkshire"

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION

The archway with gates and flanking walls, and the inner freestanding archway is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons

* For their interest as surviving medieval stonework. * For their contribution to the garden of the mainly C18 Old Rectory that is also Grade II listed.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Spofforth Castle and Church, (1931), 24

National Grid Reference: SE 36402 51097, SE 36403 51101

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149980 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:00:12.

End of official listing