EASTERN FARMHOUSE AT HIGH CAYTON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150376

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1987

Statutory Address: EASTERN FARMHOUSE AT HIGH CAYTON, WATER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTERN FARMHOUSE AT HIGH CAYTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:59:03.

Location

Statutory Address: EASTERN FARMHOUSE AT HIGH CAYTON, WATER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: South Stainley with Cayton

National Grid Reference: SE 28626 63210

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH STAINLEY WITH CAYTON WATER LANE SE 26 SE (west end)

1/129 Eastern Farmhouse at High Cayton 15.3.66 (formerly listed as Cayton Hall)

GV II

House. Dated 1607 with extensive C19 and C20 alterations. Rendered, with large gritstone external stacks and purple slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays with lower 2-bay addition to right and rear added outshut. 4-panel half- glazed door to left of centre with 16-pane sash attached to left, both in raised surrounds; the remaining windows have mid C20 cast-iron frames. Stone coped gables. Large corniced end stacks. 2-storey addition: board door left, 4- pane sash to right, 6-pane side-sliding sash above. Rear outshut contains small side-sliding sash windows. Interior: the original front wall now the rear wall of the house (now enclosed by the outshut) is approximately 75 centimetres thick and has chamfered quoined doorway to left of centre surmounted by a stone carving of a shield with lion crest (the arms of Harrison of Cayton) and the date 1607. The west room, ground floor, has a cross beamed ceiling; the panelling was removed from this room to Cayton Hall (qv) in c1920. The house stands on part of the site of the deserted village of High Cayton. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SE2862663210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331636

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing