QUAKER COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150487

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: QUAKER COTTAGE, BACK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUAKER COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:25:11.

Location

Statutory Address: QUAKER COTTAGE, BACK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Askwith

National Grid Reference: SE 17032 47929

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASKWITH BACK LANE SE 14 NE (west side) 10/3 Quaker Cottage - II

Friends' Meeting House, now private house. 1704, restored and extended c1980. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated grey slate roof. Single storey with attics, 3 bays. Quoins. Central C20 glazed door with chamfered quoined jambs and lintel with C20 inscription: "1704 AD". Recessed chamfered mullion windows, to left of 3 lights, to right of 4 lights. Right return: 3-light mullion window lights attic. Bulbous kneelers, copings missing. C20 alterations include a large window in the left return and single-storey rear extension. A C19 photograph in the possession of the occupier shows the house with a thatched roof. The meeting house was taken over by Primitive Methodists who abandoned it c1880. In 1900 the house was described as 'now in ruins' and the grave mounds had sunk. (Speight p 170) H Speight, Upper Wharfedale, 1900.

Listing NGR: SE1703247929

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331395

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Upper Wharfedale, (1900), 170

End of official listing