BRAISTY WOODS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150537

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1952

Statutory Address: BRAISTY WOODS FARMHOUSE, SMELTHOUSES TO BURNT YATES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRAISTY WOODS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150537 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 01:58:31.

Location

Statutory Address: BRAISTY WOODS FARMHOUSE, SMELTHOUSES TO BURNT YATES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Hartwith cum Winsley

National Grid Reference: SE 19662 63678

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTWITH CUM WINSLEY SMELTHOUSES TO BURNT YATES ROAD SE 16 SE (south side, off)

8/82 Braisty Woods Farmhouse 23.4.52

GV II

House. Early-mid C17 with early C18 extension and mid C19 refenestration and additions. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attics; L-plan with 3 + 1-bay main range, and 2-bay projecting wing to left. Main range: stressed quoins, 6-panel door bay 2 in stone architrave with fluted pilasters, pulvinated frieze, entablature and cornice. Flanking and first-floor windows: paired 4-pane sashes in stone surrounds; a single sash above door. Sill band to both floors, eaves band, corniced end stacks. Bay 4: half-glazed door in stone surround, 4-pane sashes above and to right, both floors; shaped kneeler, gable coping and end stack right. Projecting bay to left: quoins: recessed-chamfered mullion windows throughout: first floor left of 1 light, attic storey has a 2-light window to left and a square window right. Shaped kneelers, gable coping, ridge stack. Rear: random fenestration; the earliest window probably a blocked tall narrow pointed-arched light with a mid C20 inserted casement, bay 4. It is flanked by round-arched windows with imposts and keystones, that to left lighting a staircase, that to right a composite window of 2 round arches above a transom. Remaining windows C20. Shaped kneelers, gable coping, ridge stacks to bays 1, 2, 4 and 5. Left return: central C20 porch; square window far left; recessed-chamfered mullion windows inserted c1980. Quoined straight joint defines the earlier bay to right. First floor shows line of 2 added gables, now demolished. C17 projecting bay, right return: board door in chamfered surround to right, 5-light recessed- chamfered mullion window under continuous hoodmould left; mullion and transom window above, of 5 lights below the transom and of 4 above. Interior: main range: 6-panel doors with original brass fittings throughout; front right C20 fireplace flanked by double cupboard doors, that to right converted for access to additional bay. Cupboard to left has scrolled shelves and architrave of fluted pilasters with entablature and cornice; dentilled ceiling cornice. Staircase opposite entrance of 2 straight flights with column and vase balusters and square newels; moulded handrail. Landing ceiling decorated with unusual plasterwork composed of 2 large masks, a rectangular panel and corner masks, and dentilled and acanthus decoration to mouldings. Kitchen, ground floor, left: large fireplace against west wall with cyma-moulded supports to large mantelpiece and recess for range; early woodwork to post and muntin partition against east wall, and a panelled cupboard door to left of fireplace. Roof structure: 2 tie beam trusses above kitchen bay, altered to queen post trusses as remainder. C17 projecting bay, ground floor: south-east corner fireplace with ovolo- moulded surround; staircase in north-west corner enclosed by post and panel partition at ground and first floor; 2-panel door at head of stairs formerly on ground floor. First floor: timberwork at stairhead has traces of painted decoration, and the corner chimney-breast has painted plasterwork comprising a circular wreath (? of laurel) possibly enclosing a crowned head (defaced) flanked by a rose (left) and a thistle (right). Braisty Woods was a substantial settlement in the later middle ages, developed as a pastoral outstation where sheep and store cattle were wintered, and belonging to Fountains Abbey. The house and lands are associated with the Scafe or Skaife family from the monastic period (late C15) and later as tenants of the Ingilbys of Ripley Castle. In 1615 Thomas and John Skaife bought the freehold from Sir William Ingilby, and the inventory of Richard Skaife in 1728 shows evidence of then recent extensions and alterations. The painted plasterwork may commemorate the Act of Parliament which united England and Scotland in 1706 - the date recorded on the sundial (qv). B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, pp 103, 128, 356.

Listing NGR: SE1966263678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 103
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967)
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 356

End of official listing