BURNT YATES SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150560

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: BURNT YATES SCHOOL, B6165

Map

Ordnance survey map of BURNT YATES SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:29:22.

Location

Statutory Address: BURNT YATES SCHOOL, B6165

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Clint cum Hamlets

National Grid Reference: SE 25124 61247

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLINT B 6165 SE 26 SE (north side)

10/29 Burnt Yates School

- II

School. 1760, 1763 and 1849 with alterations mid C20. Endowed by Rear Admiral Robert Long and others. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, stone slate (C18) and blue slate roofs (C19). 3 main blocks: the original 2- storey, 2-bay school building, the 3-storey, 2-bay additional block to left, and the tall single-storey C19 schoolroom attached at right-angle to right. Original school: projecting quoins, central 6-panel door in quoined surround flanked by 3-light flat-faced mullion-and-transom windows. First floor: 3- light flat-faced mullion windows. Projecting sill and lintel bands to both floors; inscription under crest in stone surround above entrance: 'THIS SCHOOL was ERECTED / and ENDOWED in his LIFE TIME / by ROBERT LONG ESQUIRE / REAR ADMIRAL / in HIS MAJESTIES ROYAL NAVY / ANNO DOM MDCCLX'. Corniced left end stack. Additional block to left: quoins to left; central entrance flanked by 3-light windows on each floor, transomed on first floor. Shaped kneeler and ashlar coping to left. Later range to right: tall 3-light mullion-and-transom window with triangular-headed top lights. Left (inner) return: central porch with 3-light window, date plaque (1849) and bellcote flanked by 3-light mullion-and-transom windows. Gable copings. Right return: two 3-light mullion windows. Interior: block to left: second-floor trustees room begun 1771 and completed 1773 has original wainscot, fireplace, bookcase, table and 8 chairs. Latest schoolroom: scissor-braced roof trusses. The foundation of the school was initiated by William Mountaine of Scarah Bank Farm (qv) who contacted Robert Long, formerly of Flask Farm, Clint but living in London. In 1759 Admiral Long promised to endow Flask Farm and in 1760 the new school was near completion. In 1761 William Mountaine reported that the new school was 'too small' and in 1763 the new addition was built. The trustees room was completed 1773, the original furnishings include chairs by Chippendale together with a map of the endowed lands and portraits of King George I and Queen Caroline, all of which remain. The minute books and correspondence records from the schools foundation are preserved in the trustees room. Burnt Yates Womens Institute, Clint cum Hamlets, 1975, pp 13-21. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, p 447 etc.

Listing NGR: SE2512461247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331157

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clint Cum Hamlets, (1975), 13-21
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 447

End of official listing