LOW HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150568

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1952

Statutory Address: LOW HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOW HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 00:19:09.

Location

Statutory Address: LOW HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Dacre

National Grid Reference: SE 19891 61296

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DACRE MAIN STREET SE 16 SE (east side, off)

8/50 Low Hall 23.4.52 - II

House. Dated 1635. Probably for Matthew Wood. Smoothly dressed gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic, 3 bays, with gables to main facade. Plinth, continuous dripmould to ground and first floors. Glazed double door between bays 2 and 3 in moulded chamfered surround with shallow 4-centred arch. Datestone over: panels with inscription '1635 MW' flanked by fan motif under roll moulding, the datestone flanked by labels carved with flower heads. Windows, ground floor: mullioned and transomed of 4, 7 and 6 lights; first floor: similar but shorter of 4, 6 and 5 lights with small light between bays 1 and 2 and a cross window between bays 2 and 3. Attic storey: paired round-headed lights under hoodmoulds. All windows are recessed-chamfered; dripmould breaks forward above windows, with stepped labels and labels embellished with leaf motif flanking entrance. Elaborate shaped kneelers and gable coping carrying finials at apex of gables and valleys between. Large stack in valley between bays 1 and 2; external stack right. Rear: board door to right, 4-light mullion and transom window to left of centre; mullion windows with hoodmoulds, some restored. Castellated rainwater heads at valleys. Left return: 4-light and single-light windows ground floor. 3-light and inserted single-light first-floor windows. Plinth obscured by C20 terrace. Ground-floor dripmould returned from front over single-light window. Right return: left: 2-light windows ground and first floor. External stack stepped in at first floor, the steps supporting stone gutters. Extensions built c1920 not of special interest. Interior: not inspected at resurvey. Extensive alterations were made to the plan in 1920 including removal of staircase, kitchen fireplace and chimney. Other fireplaces also moved, and C17 panelling imported. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report Number 457 (1978).

Listing NGR: SE1989161296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331179

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 457, (1978)

End of official listing