Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150734

Date first listed: 30-May-1979

Statutory Address: 5-7, FRIARAGE TERRACE


Ordnance survey map of 5-7, FRIARAGE TERRACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 23:38:35.


Statutory Address: 5-7, FRIARAGE TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Northallerton

National Grid Reference: SE 36918 94224


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NORTHALLERTON FRIARAGE TERRACE SE 3694-3794 6/3 Nos 5, 6, 7 30.5.79 II School, now 3 houses. 1844. Dark red/brown brick in English garden wall bond, C20 pantile roof. 2 storeys, 3:3:1 bays. 4-panel doors below overlights with small canopies in bays 2, 5 and between bays 6 and 7; hints of a blocked door between 3rd and 4th bays. Early C20 canted bay window on ground floor of bay 7 (No 7) and flush 4-pane sash window on first floor above. Other windows, flush 16-pane sashes with flat arches on ground floor, flush 12-pane unequally-hung sashes on first floor, their heads breaking up into dentil cornice. Hipped roof with ashlar ridge stones. Ridge stacks between 3rd and 4th, 6th and 7th bays, and eaves stack at right end. Rear: smaller windows. Left return: blocked first-floor window. Right return: No 7 returns in a rear wing, much altered and not of special interest. Built in 1844 as a British School, which continued for twenty years; then the system of instruction became less popular and the schoolrooms were turned into dwelling houses. (Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885), appendix p xviii).

Listing NGR: SE3691894224


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332797

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Saywell, Reverend J L , The History and Annals of Northallerton, (1885), 18

End of official listing