CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1150761

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:03:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Dalby-cum-Skewsby

National Grid Reference: SE 63722 71212

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DALBY-CUM-SKEWSBY DALBY SE 67 SW 7/43 Church of St Peter 17.5.60 - I

Church. Early C12, C15, C16 and C19. Sandstone, Welsh slate and lead roofs. 3-bay nave with western bellcote and south porch; 2-bay chancel. Nave: C12; rubble; from left, stepped diagonal buttress; C19 porch of open timber-frame on low stone wall masking round-arched south doorway of 1 order with imposts; two 2-light windows with Cl9 Y-tracery; coping; west end has C15 flat-headed window of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, with hood mould, and C19 2-light belfry; north side C15, of coursed stone, blocked continuously-moulded chamfer-stopped Tudor-arched doorway, and high-level single-light window towards east end and stepped buttress. Chancel: C15, coursed stone; stepped plinth; stepped buttres- ses to left and centre; each bay has a C16 low single-light flat-headed window, rebated and with iron stanchion and saddle bars; below left window a worn shield with crudely-carved head; water-spout from eaves of first bay; parapet with deep crenellations; east end has diagonal buttresses and C16 window of 3-lights matching those on south, and on each jamb a carved stone, with the crossed keys of St Peter to left, and the Instruments of the Passion to the right, also a worn stone above, each with a dripstone, and with a worn shield with crudely- carved head further to the left of the window; north side has 2 stepped buttres- ses and a water-spout in each bay, that to east a gargoyle. Interior: early C12 chancel arch on imposts, and facing nave to left, a pointed-arched niche; interior of chancel is of unplastered ashlar stone, rising unchecked into a pointed tunnel vault; chamfered segmental rere arches to windows; four C15 oak tie beams in nave; on north wall of nave, fragment of black-letter painted inscription in decorative border, also white marble memorial tablet to Rev Thomas Lumley d.1805 set on coloured marble mount; on south wall of nave, aedicule monument to Alan Ascough, Armiger, who died in 1675 aged 85 years after a marriage of 63 years to his wife Ann, the Corinthian columns carry a steep open pediment font a large hemispherical bowl on a C19 stem and base; high on the west wall, the royal coat of arms of George "IIII"; at the west end of the north wall of the nave, in a screened vestry, a Benefaction Board; on south wall of chancel, traces of painted lettering and a cast-iron safe door with Gothic tracery. The fortified form of the chancel is most unusual. VCH ii, pp 126-127.

Listing NGR: SE6371771213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332752

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 126-127

End of official listing