CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150818

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:31:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Dalton

National Grid Reference: SE 43561 76319

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DALTON

1439/6/4 MAIN STREET 06-NOV-03 (North side) CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

GV II* Church. 1868 by William Butterfield. Banded ashlar and rock-faced coursed squared stone, Welsh slate roof. Nave with western bellcote tower and south porch, chancel with south transept and north vestry. Quoins. Nave: 4 bays. Bays divided by offset angle buttresses. Windows are cusped lancets, right-hand bay has two windows. Gabled south porch to left with pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould, stone coping and gable cross. West end has central half-enclosed narrow tower with sill band and hoodmould to lancet. Above to second stage is a clockface, this stage is corbelled inwards and rises to form octagonal belfry above with 4 lancet openings. Eaves band with stone spirelet. Second stage of tower flanked by quatrefoil nave windows. Chancel: 2 bays with gabled south transept which has 2-light plate traceried window with hoodmould. East end: central offset buttress with small elongated sexfoil window and hoodmould above flanked by tall cusped lancets with hoodmoulds. Contemporary north vestry with gabled doorway. Stone copings to all gables and gable cross to chancel. Interior: red brick with bands of stone and vitrified blue brick. In chancel much patterning in tiles and brick. Timber rood screen with tall central cusped arch flanked by lower cusped arches, with cusped arch and quatrefoil trellis work above. Inlaid marble and coloured stone reredos, flanked to sides by pointed-arched recesses for seats with decorative patterned tile work. Fine Butterfield brass chandelier to chancel and stone font to nave. Canted wagon roof. A very complete Butterfield interior. Stained glass by William Morris & Co, west window of St John the Evangelist, Christ and angels to east end and Annunciation in the chancel north window.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332586

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing