GREYHOUND STONE APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES EAST OF JUNCTION WITH HARTCLIFF HILL ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151033

Date first listed: 27-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: GREYHOUND STONE APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES EAST OF JUNCTION WITH HARTCLIFF HILL ROAD, HARTCLIFF ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREYHOUND STONE APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES EAST OF JUNCTION WITH HARTCLIFF HILL ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 14:16:14.

Location

Statutory Address: GREYHOUND STONE APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES EAST OF JUNCTION WITH HARTCLIFF HILL ROAD, HARTCLIFF ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Penistone

National Grid Reference: SE 22579 01695

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PENISTONE HARTCLIFF ROAD SE20SW (north side) 3/19 Greyhound stone approx. 300 metres east of junction with Hartcliff Hill Road

II

Boundary marker. Date uncertain but probably medieval. Sandstone post. Rectangular with elliptical panel with bas-relief of a running greyhound. Above, later inscribed initials 'M W P'. The stone is mentioned in accounts of the boundaries of the parish of Thurlstone in the time of Henry VIII and of Langsett in 1695. It is mentioned in the Enclosure Act of 1814 relating to the parishes of Penistone, Langsett and Thurlstone. It is thought to mark the boundaries of William Payne and Lord Melbourne, the former purchasing the manor of Langsett from Lord Melbourne in 1814. It has been suggested (Dransfield) that the initials 'M W P' refer to these names and were added at this time. In 1984 the stone was moved back to its original site, according to the 1814 documents. The stone is on the boundary of the parishes of Penistone and Langsett.

J. H. Dransfield, Historv of Penistane, 1906.

Listing NGR: SE2257901695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334046

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dransfield, JH , History of Penistone, (1906)

End of official listing