GUN ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151066

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: GUN ROOM, WENTWORTH CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUN ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 20:04:24.

Location

Statutory Address: GUN ROOM, WENTWORTH CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Stainborough

National Grid Reference: SE 31944 03224

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINBOROUGH

1800/1/44 WENTWORTH CASTLE 28-AUG-03 Gun Room

GV II* Probably built as a banqueting-house or bath-house, used as a gun room in C19. Mid C18 with C19 alterations. Built for the Wentworth Castle estate. Red brick, ashlar sandstone dressings. Modillioned ashlar cornice, hipped Welsh slate roof. Square, single-storey building. Main facade: ashlar plinth and sill band. Central projection with badly-weathered Doric Venetian window having paired side lights, the outer lights blind, and one inner light with margin-light glazing; frieze with triglyphs and bucrania, open pediment encloses round-arched head of central light. Right return: original doorway with architrave and pediment on left; to right, late C19 hipped-roof canopy supported by sturdy wooden posts and matching old 18-pane sash. INTERIOR: remains of fine mid-C18 plasterwork. Curved entrance apse with moulded plaster doorcase with Vitruvian scrolls beneath cornices. Corinthian-columned side screens each with section of entablature carried over beneath a shallow segmental arch. Octagonal ceiling bosses in apsidal end bay decorated with flowers. Smaller tiled room to rear.



Listing NGR: SE3194403224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333919

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 South Yorkshire,

End of official listing