Church of the Holy Trinity


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Church of the Holy Trinity, Church Street, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HS


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151087.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 09:10:18.


Statutory Address:
Church of the Holy Trinity, Church Street, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 38682 00220


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 26/10/2020

SE30SE 2/3

HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar CHURCH STREET (north side) Church of the Holy Trinity

(formerly listed as Holy Trinity Church and as on Wath Road)


II Church. Built 1841-1843 with the patronage of the fifth Earl Fitzwilliam (1786-1857). Vestry and organ chamber added 1871. Early English Gothic Revival style.

MATERIALS: coursed, dressed and ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roof.

PLAN: (the church is orientated north-south rather than east-west). The church has a nave with an apsidal chancel to the north and a tower to the south (the ritual west end). The main entrance is on the east side of the tower. The vestry and organ chamber lie to the west of the chancel.

EXTERIOR: Tower: this is of two stages topped with a spire. The tower has clasping buttresses that have corner shafts and gablets to the first stage, then rising as octagonal turrets topped by pinnacles. The entrance has a deeply-moulded arch supported on shafts, all set beneath a hoodmould. Above there is a lancet window with a hoodmould, this being below a clock set within a chamfered, square recess. The second stage, the belfry stage, has triple lancets with a continuous hoodmould, the central lancet being louvered, the flanking ones being blind. The spire is octagonal and recessed, featuring lucarnes and a weathervane.

Nave: the five-bay nave has a chamfered plinth and clasping corner buttresses with octagonal shafts topped by pinnacles. The bays are marked by offset, gabled buttresses. Between are lancet windows with hoodmoulds with head-carved stops. Above there is an oversailing course beneath a coped parapet. The gables are coped, the north gable (ritual east) having a quatrefoil-panelled plinth at its apex.

Chancel: this is lower than the nave and is a semi-octagonal apse. It is, set with smaller buttresses between bays detailed like the nave.

INTERIOR: this has a porch within the base of the tower containing a stone stair with an iron handrail up to the ringing chamber above. The porch also has two trefoil-headed doorways into the nave. At the ritual west end of the nave is a gallery with an ashlar parapet pierced by quatrefoils supported by an arcade of trefoil-headed ashlar arches set on cast-iron stanchions. The roof trusses are decorative, being divided into cusped panels, the tie beams being supported by arched braces set on carved-head corbels, the braces terminating with pendant bosses.

FITTINGS: octagonal Gothic Revival font, C20 chancel fittings.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. The church’s foundation stone was laid by the fifth Earl Fitzwilliam on Whit Monday in 1841. It opened on Whit Monday in 1843, costing £2,500 to build. The vestry and organ chamber were added in 1870-1871, along with gas lighting.

Listing NGR: SE3868200220


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Rimmer, J, Went, D, Jessop, L, The Village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire: Historic Area Assessment. Historic England Research Report 06-2019, (2019)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04204/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kril. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].