56-64 Fitzwilliam Street and attached front garden walls

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151091
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1974
Statutory Address:
56-64, Fitzwilliam Street, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8EA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151091.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2020 at 08:56:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
56-64, Fitzwilliam Street, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8EA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 38347 99984

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 22/10/2020

SK39NE 5/7 HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar FITZWILLIAM STREET (north-east side), Nos 56-64 (even) and attached front garden walls 23.4.74 GV II Terrace and attached front garden walls. Mid-C19, for the Fitzwilliam estate.

MATERIALS: deeply-coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof.

EXTERIOR: a two-storey terrace that has a symmetrical frontage with a gabled central bay that breaks slightly forward of the paired flanking cottages to each side. The replacement, part-glazed doors have overlights and plain lintels. The central door is flanked by unequally-hung 10-pane sashes in cavetto-moulded surrounds, all set beneath a single hood supported on brackets. The flanking cottages have their door to the far side of similar paired sashes with bracketed sills. The first-floor has paired, round-headed sashes to each bay aligned with the ground-floor windows. The terrace has a projecting eaves course with stone gutter brackets that continues beneath the central gable which features a central glazed oculus window. The gables have stone ashlar copings. Inserted roof-lights flank four stone-built ridge-stacks, these having bracketed tabling. The contemporary enclosure walls to the front yards have triangular copings and sweep down to the right, accommodating the falling ground, between simple gate posts.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. The terrace of five cottages, 56-64 (even) Fitzwilliam Street, is thought to have been commissioned by the fifth Earl Fitzwilliam (1786-1857) around the same time as the neighbouring Miners’ Lodging House built in 1853. Workers’ housing provided by the Fitzwilliam Estate was regarded as being of a superior quality, for instance they were built with walled yards to both front and rear to provide private outdoor space in addition to the separate allotment garden that was assigned to each cottage.

Listing NGR: SK3834799984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333879
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rimmer, J, Went, D, Jessop, L, The Village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire: Historic Area Assessment. Historic England Research Report 06-2019, (2019)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16195/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].