1 to 15, Old Row and attached front garden walls

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151094
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1974
Statutory Address:
1-15, Old Row, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HP

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151094.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 21:43:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-15, Old Row, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE3858500095

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 23/10/2020

SE30SE 2/14

HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar Nos 1 to 15 (consec.) Old Row and attached front garden walls

(Formerly listed as Nos 1 to 15 (consec.) Old Row and attached front garden walls, WATH ROAD (west side))

23.4.74 GV II Terrace and attached front garden walls. Late C18, altered C20. Built for the Fitzwilliam estate.

MATERIALS: coursed rubble sandstone, Welsh slate roofing, formerly stone slate.

EXTERIOR: a terrace of two-storey, single-bay cottages. The cottages are arranged in pairs with doors together except for number 1 which is at the right end of the row with its door to the right of its ground-floor window. Door lintels are tooled to imitate voussoirs. Windows are later casements with glazing bars, the openings having concrete sills and rendered lintels. The ridge retains seven brick stacks. The original window openings to the rear have tooled lintels. The attached front enclosure walls have heavy domed copings.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. Old Row was built for the fourth Earl Fitzwilliam (1748-1833) to house workers for Elsecar New Colliery which opened in 1795, the colliery employing 95 men and boys by 1798. This terrace was one of the earliest (potentially the first) rows of industrial workers’ houses built for the estate. A building break between numbers 10 and 11 suggests that the row was built in two stages. Workers’ housing provided by the Fitzwilliam Estate was regarded as being of a superior quality, for instance they were built with walled yards to both front and rear to provide private outdoor space in addition to the separate allotment garden that was assigned to each cottage.

Listing NGR: SE 3858500095

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333888
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rimmer, J, Went, D, Jessop, L, The Village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire: Historic Area Assessment. Historic England Research Report 06-2019, (2019)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04204/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kril. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].