THE CIVIC HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151151

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: THE CIVIC HALL, 44A 48 52 54 AND 56, ELDON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CIVIC HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:09:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CIVIC HALL, 44A 48 52 54 AND 56, ELDON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 34601 06466

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE30NW BARNSLEY ELDON STREET (west side), Barnsley 3/30 The Civic Hall, including Nos 44a, 46, 48, 52, 54 and 56 II Civic Hall. Dated 1877. By Hill and Swan of Leeds, at the expense of Mr. Charles Harvey of Park House, Kendray. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, and attic. Seven bays. Baroque style. The symmetrical facade has central and end bays defined by pilasters. The central two-storey round-arched portal has panelled pilaster jambs with foliated capitals. Elaborate double panelled door. Swagged frieze and dentilled entablature to the springing of the arch. Well-carved figures of art and science in spandrels. Figure-head of Charles Harvey in cartouche as enlarged keystone. C20 shop frontages to rest of ground floor. lst-floor windows are round-arched with pilaster jambs, those to bays 2 and 6 in triple groups. All are archivolted and have balustrade supporting sill band. Dentilled lst-floor cornice. 2nd-floor windows are similar with triple groups to bays 2, 4 and 6 and these have a small balcony to the central lights supporting urns. Frieze above centre window has in raised letters "PUBLIC HALL 1877". Heavy, modillioned moulded eaves cornice. Richly and heavily treated attic storey has 8 circular dormer windows with segmental pediments alternating with ball-on-stalk finials. Surmounting the 4 pilasters are square round-arched turrets with finials, those to the centre bay being particularly elaborate and flanking a 2-light round-arched dormer with circle in head and pediment and urns.

Interior: lst-floor hall has horseshoe gallery on cast-iron columns and decorative iron brackets. Moulded panelled roof with central bosses, and moulded, dentilled cornice. Some recent decoration.

Listing NGR: SE3460106466

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333717

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing