METHODIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151394

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1990

Statutory Address: METHODIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:19:25.

Location

Statutory Address: METHODIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Bilsdale Midcable

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 55892 99820

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BILSDALE MIDCABLE CHOP GATE SE 59 NE 16/13 Methodist Chapel and attached schoolroom II GV

Chapel dated 1878 with additions and alterations probably of the 1890s. Coursed squared tooled sandstone with chamfered plinth and quoins. Schoolroom finely-coursed stone with ashlar porch. Welsh slate roof with stone ridge, copings and kneelers. Gothic style. Gabled entrance front has central ledged oak door with fanlight. Y-traceried recessed round-arched windows with cut voussoirs. On left return 2 similar windows. Inserted Perpendicular-style window on rear elevation and small castellated bell-tower with basement door. Right return shows added schoolroom with extruded porch. Caernarvon-arched doorway, with ledged oak door, and Perpendicular- style windows. Interior plastered, with ribbed boarded ceiling. Wide pointed stone arch to schoolroom on right. Numbered benches, raised up shallow steps at back. Choir benches at right also raised. Carved pulpit at left, probably circa 1900. Communion table and rail between. Box organ at right in front of choir: "Carson's Patent - The Positive Organ". East end woodwork of good quality, but strange lectern with human feet. Contemporary glass with small decorative panels in schoolroom.

Listing NGR: SE5589299820

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333071

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing