MINSTER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- MINSTER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET, DN1 1RD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151447.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 15:46:28.
- Statutory Address:
- MINSTER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET, DN1 1RD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 57417 03562
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/09/2012
SE 50 SE 3/8 12.6.50
TOWN OF DONCASTER CHURCH STREET (north side) MINSTER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
(Formerly listed as St George's Church, Church Way)
Parish church. 1854-8 by Sir George Gilbert Scott with Perpendicular style tower and late Geometrical/early Decorated style nave and chancel. Ashlar with leaded roofs. Cruciform plan with five-bay nave with north and south aisles, central porch to south aisle, central crossing tower with 2-bay north and south transepts, 3-bay chancel with north and south aisles. Deep moulded plinth, continuous sill string-course, offset buttresses with crocketed gablets between all bays and Geometric traceried windows with hoodmoulds and foliage or head stops, throughout. West elevation: tall gabled nave has central pointed door in elaborately moulded door-case of four orders flanked by cusped pointed arched blind arcade; doorcase and arches under crocketed gablets with large foliage finials, gablet over the door with bust of St George in moulded trefoil, and gablets over arcade with blind trefoils. Above, large pointed 7-light sub-arcuated window. Above again two roundels with busts flanking central Christ figure set in large gableted and crocketed canopy. Moulded and crocketed copings plus ridge cross to gable, flanked at eaves by large octagonal colonnetted pinnacles with crocketed spires. To either side of nave, buttresses with gableted trefoil-headed niches to second stages and blind tracery to third stages. Aisles have sub-arcuated 3-light windows and outer buttresses with blind tracery to top stages. North elevation has 5-pointed 3-light aisle windows with mixed Geometric and Decorated tracery. To eastern end is a polygonal staircase turret with pointed door, chamfered windows, ballflower cornice and pyramidal roof. Buttresses have large gargoyles in the gablets. Slightly projecting parapets with moulded copings are set on foliage brackets. Above the clerestory has 10 pointed 2-light windows with triangular sectioned pilaster buttresses between surmounted by gableted and crocketed pinnacles. Pierced quatre-foil parapet on foliage brackets. South elevation similar but with central 2-storey gabled porch. This has pointed doorcase of 3 orders below crocketed gablet, flanked by crocketed pinnacle buttresses. Diagonal offset buttresses to either side with panelled and pinnacled tops. Second storey with gableted niches flanking central 2-light pointed window. Foliage brackets supporting parapets with blind quatrefoils, above. Transepts each have large pointed sub-arcuated 6-light windows and flanking buttresses with gableted offsets, and gableted and crocketed panelled pinnacles to top. North transept has two roundels with bosses and central diamond shaped window over the main window. South transept has two gableted and crocketed niches plus 2-light windows above the window. To base is a pointed doorcase of 2 orders below crocketed gablet. Central tower has 2 tall stages above the crossing. Angle buttresses with traceried panelled sides and nodding ogee crocketed gablets to offsets, also similar pilaster buttresses between bays. Circular staircase turret to north-east corner with 3 bands. Lower stage has 2 pointed 2-light windows with stringcourses above and below, to each side. Bell stage has frieze of blind quatrefoils to base and 2 large pointed 3- light openings, with wide transoms, below crocketed gablets. Similar frieze of quatrefoils above and ballflower frieze to cornice. Pierced, crocketed and gableted parapets with corner and central pinnacles. North and south elevations of chancel have large 4-light pointed windows and 2-light windows above to clerestory. Similar parapets and buttresses as those to nave and aisles except southern buttresses have statue niches beneath nodding ogee gablets, and gableted pinnacles. East elevation has slightly advanced chancel with large pointed sub-arcuated 8-light window with pierced quatrefoil over. Flanking buttresses, pinnacles and gable copings similar to west end. To either side aisles have similar 5-light windows flanked by pinnacled buttresses. Interior has 5-bay nave arcades with keeled quatrefoil piers, naturalist foliage capitals and moulded pointed arches with hoodmoulds and foliage stops Similar arches into the transepts and similar - compound piers with more richly moulded arches to crossing. Chancel has similar 2-bay arcades to either side and beyond to east, each has an open 3-light pointed traceried window into the aisle. To either side of all arches are roundels, or quatrefoils in the chancel, with bust of saints and Old Testament figures. Between the arches are clustered wall shafts on foliage corbels supporting roof trusses. Similar shafts on angel corbels to clerestory. Nave roof trusses have pierced decoration and chancel has pointed barrel vault with cusped panels. Nave aisles have pointed stone arches springing from the nave arcades with large pierced roundels in the spandrels to the nave side. Crossing has roundels with busts over the arches with deep band of blind quatrefoils above. Window openings above again and sexpartite vault to top. All windows have similar detailing as exterior, ie with sub-arcaution, hoodmoulds, and stops, plus continuous sill string-course. Above south door is an open arcade into parvise. Original fittings include large polished granite font with circular bowl on colonnetted stem, nave and choir stalls with carved bench ends and poppy heads, large circular stone pulpit with arcaded steps to side and arcaded balustrade, both with polished marble columns, and a stone reading desk with diapher work front and seat behind for 3 clerics. Chancel also has a sumptous stone reredos with richly painted crocketed and gableted trefoil arcade, which continues right around the sanctuary. South chapel has blind arcading to sides with polished marble columns, and ornate metal railing between the arches to chancel and crossing. Similar railings to north chancel organ bay. Encaustic tile floors throughout Monuments all C19 except for painted wooden memorial with pedimented top on twisted columns to Robert Mercer, died 1698. Elaborate stained glass to many of the windows, east window by Hardman, west window by Ward and Hughes, south chancel chapel windows by Wailes, aisle east windows by Capronnier and south transept south window by Clayton and Bell. Architectural sculpture by John Birnie Philip. Source: 'Yorkshire, West Riding' Pevsner pg 181, Church Guide and 'History of St George's Church', Jackson (1855).
Listing NGR: SE5741703561
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Jackson, , History of St Georges Church, (1855)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 181
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing