3 AND 4, CLAY LANE WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151448
Date first listed:
04-May-1988
Statutory Address:
3 AND 4, CLAY LANE WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of 3 AND 4, CLAY LANE WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jun-2019 at 11:43:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
3 AND 4, CLAY LANE WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE6036606739

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25 July 2016.

SE 60 NW 2/11 4.5.88

TOWN OF DONCASTER Long Sandall CLAY LANE WEST (south side) Nos. 3 and 4

II

(Formerly listed as Nos.3 and 4 Clay Lane)

GV

Pair of semi-detached houses. 1867, designed by J Butterfield, built for Doncaster Corporation. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Two storeys and two bays each, with mirrored facades. No 3 to the right has slightly off-centre chamfered 4-centred arch with 4-panelled door and pointed overlight deeply recessed behind. To right is a narrow sash window with chamfered stone sill and lintel and to left is a 3-light timber mullion window with 2-pane sashes in similar surround.. Similar 2-light window above in bargeboarded gable. Rest of first floor blind with overhanging eaves. Large T-plan ridge stack to centre. Similar 2-light window to first floor of right return. All windows below pointed brick relieving arches. Rear elevation has gabled bay breaking forward to right with porch in the re-entrant angle. This has brick 4-centred arches to both sides and panelled door below pointed overlight behind. Windows similar to those to front. Interior is simple with stick baluster staircase. No 4 identical, except mirrored. Built as a pair with Nos 1 and 2. Listed for historic interest, as very early example of council housing. Source; Council Minutes 12 May 1867. Empty and derelict at time of resurvey. Refurbished early C21.

Listing NGR: SE6036606739

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335014
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].