LITTLE FLEECE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151952

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1955

Statutory Address: LITTLE FLEECE, BISLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE FLEECE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 14:47:11.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE FLEECE, BISLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Painswick

National Grid Reference: SO8677509798

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PAINSWICK BISLEY STREET (east side) SO 8609/8709 (part of) 8/35 Little Fleece 21.10.55 GV II House in row. c16 or C17; restored 1942 by Sir George Oatley. Cut squared limestone, stone slate roof. Set gable-end to the street, with entrance to left in fabric of adjoining property (Old Fleece, qv); C19 back wing. Two storeys, attic and cellar, 3 windows. At ground floor and first floor three 2-light set-back chamfer mullion casements, and in gable a 3-light similar, all set to individual stopped drips; low right, set in the plinth, a 2-light wood casement with bars to basement. Also, far right a small single light stair window opposite the gable stack. Left, beyond the principal roof-line, a C20 flush panelled door, in a bolection mould surround and under a stopped drip: this gives to a cross passage which has a 4-centred opening at the far end. The central ground floor window seemed to replace a one-time door. Coped gable to street and right, with large stack. The back wall includes a 2-light casement with a central double mullion, also, left a wide chamfered square opening. Interior has stone vaulted cellar (not inspected); right end of ground floor has very wide inglenook firs with extremely flat 4-centre arch hollow chamfer lintel set to solid stone cheeks, above is a smaller hollow chamfered square opening fire, and a further stone cheeked fireplace to wood bressummer. There are various chamfer-stopped beams. Roof structure appears to be Oakley's work, and the staircase is of C20. The ground floor used as a shop by the National Trust.

Listing NGR: SO8677509798

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 133211

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing