CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151971

Date first listed: 20-May-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151971 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 12:07:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Chickerell

National Grid Reference: SY 65134 82538

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 68 SE CHICKERELL BUCKLAND RIPERS

7/99 Church of St. Nicholas

GV II*

Former Parish Church, now chapel. C15 or earlier, much reconstructed 1655 after fire damage. North wall of nave reconstructed C20. (Rubble-stone walls and dressings. Slate and stone slate roofs). Chancel, Nave, South Porch. Chancel: east window, two-light, late C19. South wall has a single-light window with square head and label, originally C17 and of two lights, now with the mullion removed. Nave: north wall rebuilt, incorporates mid C17 2-light window, north doorway reset, possibly of medieval origin. South wall, 2 C17 stone-mullioned windows reset, of 2 square- headed lights with moulded labels and much restored. South doorway, C17, with chamfered jambs, segmented head and triangular rere-arch. South Porch, east wall rebuilt since C17. Entrance arch has chamfered jambs and segmental head, and is dated 1655. West wall, west window is of c.1500, and has two cinquefoiled lights and sunk spandrels in a square head with a moulded label with square-return stops with foliated centres. Bellcote is C17 and has two plain segmental-headed openings under a gable. The roofs are late C19. Interior: Chancel-arch, date of 1655 reconstruction, but widened subsequently to nearly full width of nave; now of elliptical form of 2 orders, with a keystone inscribed IP LW GC and extending into a shaped pendant; outer hollow-chamfered order is continuous, the chamfered inner order springs from semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Font: octagonal stone bowl with plain sides and chamfered under edge on a stop-chamfered square pedestal and round base, medieval. (RCHM Dorset II, p39 (2)).

Listing NGR: SY6513482538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105218

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 39

End of official listing