SO 80 SE THRUPP NETHER LYPIATT
3/366 Nether Lypiatt Manor including
forecourt walls, gateways and
Country house with forecourt walls and gate screen. 1710-1717 for
Judge Charles Cox, restored c1920 by P. Morley Horder for C.W.
Woodall. Ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof.
Wrought iron gates. Compact square plan; 2-storey with cellar
and attic. Five-window elevations, all formerly with stone cross-
windows, these surviving on centre windows of south front and to
whole of north elevation. Otherwise all later C18 18-pane sashes
with moulded architraves, 2-light mullioned cellar casements also
with moulded architraves. Central doorways on west, and formerly
on east side also, the latter pedimented but now with small-pane
fixed light. West doorway has later C18 segmental pedimented
porch on fluted pedestal-mounted Ionic columns, slightly splayed
stone steps having low side walls terminated by similar pedestals.
Alternating rusticated quoins. Deep moulded coved eaves with
projections carried up from upper floor windows. Boldly
sprocketed hipped roof with 2 hipped dormers to each side, each
with leaded casements. Taller central and 2 eaves-mounted
chimneys, the latter on north and south sides, all panelled with
moulded caps, eaves-mounted chimneys having round arched panel to
side faces. Two original single-storey hipped roofed wings
project forward from south house front, these being attached at
corners and not internally accessible from house. Similar wing to
balance west front added in 1931. Garden walls run forward
forming inner courtyard to west, enclosed by clairvoyée with
central gateway. Main gate piers have central pilaster strip,
moulded plinth and tops with fine gadrooned urn finials, smaller
screen piers having ball finials and standing on base wall. Main
gates said to be by Warren have scrolled overthrow and simple
scrollwork to the gates themselves. Plain spear-topped railings
to remainder of screen. Outer courtyard has further opposed
gateways forming north-south axis, these piers having ball finials.
Outer courtyard walls continue forward to line of road, returning
to north and south, north section having doorway with keyed
architraves and plank door.
Interior: fine bolection moulded chestnut panelling to entrance
hall with panelled pedestal-mounted pilasters. Elaborately carved
Baroque fireplace probably inserted c1730. Many other rooms
retain similar, although simpler, panelling and stone bolection
moulded fireplaces. Some more elaborate later C18 fireplaces, the
drawing room fireplace being especially good. The main staircase,
of oak and elm, starts as dog-leg in plan but due to narrowing of
flights has become open well type by the time it reaches the attic.
Moulded and swept handrail has 3 turned balusters per tread;
bolection moulded dado panelling. On each landing principal rooms
are reached through round timber-panelled archway. This building
replaced an earlier manor house that was totally demolished.
(Extensively illustrated and described. Country Life articles:
24th March - 7th April 1923 and 19th -26th May 1934. M. Girouard,
Life in the English Country House, 1978; O. Hill and J. Cornforth,
English Country Houses: Caroline, 1966; N.M. Herbert, 'Stroud' in
V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp. 99-145; M.A. Rudd, Historical Records
of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; S. Sitwell, British Architects and
Craftsmen, 1945 and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds,
Listing NGR: SO8739103798