PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1152550
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 15:18:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Catton
National Grid Reference:
TG 23060 12324

Details

TG 2312 OLD CATTON CHURCH STREET (north) 6/2 Parish Church of 10/5/61 St Margaret.

G.V. II*

Parish Church. C12 and later of flint with stone or brick quoins, and lead and slate roofs. Tower, north transeptal aisles, south porch, south aisle, north chapel east, and chancel. 2 stage round tower of brick and knapped flint with single light west window, sound hole and 2 light belfry openings with straight heads with hood moulds, and tracery in brick. Octagonal top with brick dres- sings, string course and battlemented top. Double gabled tran- septal north aisles, c1852 with 2 and 3 light Perpendicular style windows. Perpendicular west porch with stepped gable and 2 windows to parvis with central cusped niche with hood mould. South aisle, c1850, of 2½ bays with 3 light Perpendicular style windows, and with circular window in east wall. 4 bay nave with 2 light clere- storey windows with 4 centred arches with hood moulds. Rebuilt chancel c1850 pebble dashed, 2 bays with 3 light Perpendicular style windows flanking Norman style door. 3 light Perpendicular style window to east with large trefoil window above. North chapel with gabled north window flanked by swept buttresses with turret finials. 2 light Decorated style east window. Interior mainly C19. West gallery c1773. North transeptal arcade in Decorated style. Mid C15 4 bay north arcade with piers with engaged shafts to north and south. Late C15 arch braced roof. C15 chancel arch with ½ shafts with moulded bases and battlemented caps. Vaulted Perpendicular niche to south of chancel arch. Mid C14 arch to north chapel. Arch braced chancel roof with battlemented moulded wall plate. Rood screen dado. Fine pulpit, dated 1537 with linen- fold panels separated by turned balusters. C18 and C19 monuments, including one to Jeremiah Ives, died 1820 by Sir Richard Westmacott. Standing monument with sarcophagus in front of obelisk flanked by weeping putti. Walter P High. A Description of the Parish of Old [Catton 1877.]

Listing NGR: TG2306012324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228101
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
High, W P , A Description of the Parish of Old Catton 1877

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03073/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Smee. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].