PURBECK HOUSE (CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF MERCY)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152595
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
PURBECK HOUSE (CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF MERCY), 91, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PURBECK HOUSE (CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF MERCY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jun-2019 at 03:42:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
PURBECK HOUSE (CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF MERCY), 91, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Purbeck (District Authority)
Parish:
Swanage
National Grid Reference:
SZ 02918 78719

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5190 (south side) No 91 (Purbeck House) SZ 0278 NE 5/81 (Convent of Our Lady of Mercy) II

2. Built 1875, replacing an 18th century house on the site. Architect: G Crickmay. Built for George Burt, nephew and successor of John Mowlem, as his own house. An imposing house in a "baronial" style, asymetrical in design, of stone, with tiled roof. The main facade has 2 storeys, plus attics and basement, raised above pavement level on a paved terrace with stone parapet walls. Crow-stepped gables at each end of the facade, Projecting granite porch, large square bay window west of this, and west again a projecting square tower, continuing above roof line as an octagon, finished with battlements. The main elevations are faced with granite fragments left over from the base of the Albert Memorial, London, which Burt was building at the time. Various other fragments from London buildings incorporated in the house, and a number of stone and terracotta plaques of classical design, from the Exhibition of 1851. Part of the terrace paved with decorated encaustic tiles from the Houses of Parliament. Windows mainly sashes in stone surrounds. Gabled dormers to attic. Single-storey former billiard room - now Chapel - the east of the main house, with lead roof and walls partly of stone, partly of terracotta tiles. Modern extension to Chapel in stone with a copper roof. Interior retains some original features. Mosaic pavement in entrance hall copied by Burt from a Roman pavement discovered during excavations at the Mansion House, London, in 1869 and now in the Museum of London. Two of the ground floor rooms retain moulded and painted ceiling decoration and fireplaces of Carrara marble designed by Crickmay. Purbeck Stone walls to garden at rear of house.

Listing NGR: SZ0291878719

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
108207
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].