- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE SQUARE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152782 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 18:46:04.
- Statutory Address:
- THE SQUARE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 79047 28600
TF 7928 HOUGHTON HOUGHTON PARK
10/23 The Square. G.V. I
Stable courtyard, known as the Square. C.1730, attributable to William Kent, but perhaps supervised by Thomas Ripley architect. For Sir Robert Walpole, later 1st Earl of Orford. Palladian. Largely coursed carstone, some brick on south and west facades, brick with carstone dressings to interior courtyard. Smut pantiles and slates, 15 bay east and west and 13 bay north and south ranges, built around a courtyard. East and west facades have 3 bay centre- pieces, 6 bay north and south ranges. Single bay angle towers. Centre bay has raised chamfered rusticated keyed arch, boarded door. 2 flanking bays having single boarded doors under arches with fixed casement lunette heads. Each bay has single 2-light casements. Raised chamfered rusticated quoins to central bay and flanking bay angles. Centre has third storey with Diocletian window. Flanking bays have lean-to half pediments, clasping central full pediment, Palladio's Rendentore arrangements. 6 north and south bays have ground floor blank bays with piers with simple bases and capitals, fixed and opening casements in arches above. 6 north and south 2-light casements above. End bay forms angle towers with recessed blank bays with casements in arches, 2-light casements above. Raised and chamfered angle quoins. Octagonal third storey turrets with round arched oculuses, cornice, and octagonal slated roofs with large scale acorn finials. 4 roundels on pedestals at parapet level, a direct Palladio quotation. Whole facade articulated with ground level plinth first floor platband and eaves modillion cornice. West range has in addition carved and brick blank arches to ground floor. Coat of arms with swags in central pediment. Late C17 from earlier house with quarterings of Sir Robert Walpole's grandfather. 4 stacks to each ridge. North facade has blank arches with lunettes. Single bay centrepiece with rusticated, keyed open arch, third floor Diocletian window and pediment. South facade has brick blank arches to ground floor. 2 stacks to each ridge. Entrance arches have 2 leaf contemporary iron gates. Courtyard facades: 13 bay east and west, and 9 north and south, repeat details of outer facades. Brick with carstone plinths, platbands and modillion cornices and pediments. Contemporary 2 leaf cast iron gates with speared dog and upper rails fixed against inner north and south entrances. Interior: ground floor with brick quadripartite vaults. At north east C18 stalls with oak Doric columns, with roundels marking divisions, rectangular oak piers supporting vaults. C19 loose boxes. West range largely converted to garages c.1900. See Isaac Ware Plans, Elevations and Sections of Houghton. (1735) 1750 edition pls. 33, 34. Mrs Herbert Jones Houghton in the Brake (Norwich 1878).
Listing NGR: TF7904728600
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Jones, H, Houghton in the Brake, (1878)
Ware, I, Plans Elevations and Sections of Houghton in Norfolk, (1735)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.