Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152823.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 12:54:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Broadland (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
TG 42781 02496


REEDHAM CHURCH LANE TG 40 SW 7/73 Church of St. John the 25.9.62. Baptist. I G.V. Parish church. C14 with C15 west tower, body of church re-roofed and repaired after fire damage in 1981. Flint, brick and limestone with limestone dressings. Pantiled roofs. West tower nave, chancel incorporating former south aisle, north porch, vestry. Square C15 west tower with staged angle buttresses. Base course of flushwork panels with traceried heads. West door with square label mould and traceried spandrels. 3-light Perpendicular west window with hood mould on head stops. Square traceried sound holes, 3-light bell openings, restored. Polygonal stair turret on south side. South doorway to nave now blocked. Double lancets between staged buttresses in south nave wall. South wall of chancel has two 2-light windows with 'Y'-tracery c.1300. Priest's door between windows with headstops to hood mould. Massive raking brick buttress at south-east corner. Double-pitch east gable : east window of south chancel aisle a triple stepped lancet with continuous hood mould and head stops. 4-light east window to chancel with intersecting tracery. 2-light 'Y'-tracery window in east wall of vestry. Staged buttress between chancel and south aisle. The north side of the church displays much early brick, some set in herringbone-pattern in the flintwork with brick quoins to the north-east corner of the nave. 2-light Decorated window in north chancel wall; three 2-light 'Y'-tracery windows in north wall of nave, the easternmost set in a much reduced opening. Entrance to north porch has drip mould with head-stops and a blocked niche in the gable. Staged diagonal buttresses to north gable wall. North doorway has hood mould with headstops and stooling for finial at arch apex. Interior re-ordered and re-furnished following fire damage in March 1981. Plastered ceilings cover new roof structures. Chancel arch and south chapel arch open into nave. Chancel arch has a double plain chamfer, the inner order carried on corbelled polygonal responds with cusped ogee arcading. Chancel south arcade to chapel C14, of two bays with an octagonal pier and double chamfered arches; a taller bay added to the east c.1500 with polygonal responds and castellated abaci. Two cusped recesses in north chancel wall and vestry door with an ogee headed arch on head stops. Two fine C16 chest tombs in the south chapel; one with inscription not decipherable, the western tomb to Henry Berney +1584. Tomb-chest with Tuscan colonnettes, four centred arched recess above flanked by Ionic columns with kneeling figures in relief. Scrolled ogee arch above containing arms.

Listing NGR: TG4278102496


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05534/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].