CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153025

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 20:46:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Beverston

National Grid Reference: ST 86165 94015

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 89 SE 7/32

BEVERSTON BEVERSTON VILLAGE Church of St. Mary

6.9.54

GV

II*

Small Anglican church. Norman foundation, probably on Saxon site, extended c.1225 and in 1361 by Thomas Lord Berkeley; restored mid C19 probably by Lewis Vulliamy and again in late C19. Random coursed rubble stone with roughcast faced tower, stone slate roof with coped east verges with saddlestone and cross finials. West tower, nave with north chapel and south aisle and porch, chancel. Tower of 2 stages with Perpendicular upper stage above string course just below belfry level, embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, 2-light belfry louvres to top stage on each face, pointed arch doorway with hoodmould on south side with pre-Conquest sculpture of figure of Christ above. South aisle, added probably in C13, has parapet wall and two large C19 Perpendicular 4-light windows flanking projecting gabled porch with sundial below trefoil saddlestone and elaborate cross finial, and with Norman inner doorway with hoodmould carved with inverted crockets and jamb shafts with crocket capitals. Chancel of C14 has two Decorated 2-light on south side flanking ogee-headed priest's door with hoodmould, 3-light east window, and small Norman and Early English lancets on north side. Berkeley Chapel on north side also of C14.

Interior: 3-bay nave with pointed arcade on south side with cylindrical piers with trumpet scallop capitals and waterholding bases, and complex roof design by Vulliamy. Entrance to rood stair and upper archway remain behind Tudor carved stone pulpit; chancel screen is largely original C15 timber, restored in C19. Unusual squint passage from north chapel into chancel of 3 bays with moulded ridge beam and arched principals and carved ridge bosses. C13 tomb recess in lower section of south aisle wall containing medieval octagonal font previously ornamented but altered by Vulliamy. Several late C17/early C18 stone wall monuments on west wall and large monument to William Tugwell 1763 in south aisle.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130347

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing