GATE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1153089
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
GATE HOUSE, NORWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 08:48:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATE HOUSE, NORWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ditchingham
National Grid Reference:
TM 33035 91809

Details

DITCHINGHAM NORWICH ROAD TM 39 SW 6/36 Gate House 5-9-60 II

House, dated 1613 on east gable of crosswing. Red brick, encasing timber frame. Steep plain-tiled roof. Two storeys and 2 1/2 storeys, L-shaped plan. 3-bay wing to north, two storeys, with 2 and 3-light C19 casements with transom, ovolo-moulded. Three plain brick pilasters. Ground floor windows in outer bays have stone or stuccoed pediments with flower boss. Central doorway with later porch; 2-light segmental-headed windows flanking porch. Square axial stack off-centre to south with four moulded chimney-shaft bases. Parapeted north gable with internal stack. Crosswing at south end has 6-light ground floor, 5-light first floor and 3-light attic windows with ovolo-moulded mullions and transoms; pediments with rose and fleur-de-lis motifs. The gable carries the date 1613 in iron letters, together with the initials RH 1918, commenorating a remodelling of the house carried out by Sir Henry Rider Haggard. 2-storey red brick and pantile extension on west side with single- storey lean-to. West wall of main range rendered and colourwashed over timber frame; three first floor 3-light casements. Interior: bridging beams and mid-wall rails quadrant-moulded with barred stops. Crosswing roof has clasped upper and butted lower purlins with cambered collars. Main range re-roofed early C20, but retaining some members of clasped purlin roof.

Listing NGR: TM3303591809

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226812
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].