CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153202

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, REEPHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:24:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, REEPHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Thurning

National Grid Reference: TG 08038 29446

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 02 NE THURNING REEPHAM ROAD (west) 7/98 Church of St. Andrew. 6/3/59 II*

Parish church, C14 tower, nave and north aisle, later Perpendicular details inserted. FlinL with stone dressings, slated roof. West tower, nave and north aisle, south porch, chancel in ruins. Unbuttressed west tower with single west lancet with broken trefoil tracery, single rectangular opening to belfry chamber on east, north and west faces, south with 2-light Decorated window with clock below. Flush work battlemented parapet. Nave south 3 2- light Decorated windows with tracery heads, south porch Perpendicular with hood moulded arch recut, angle buttresses, blocked 2-light Perpendicular window on east. East window of 3-lights, reticulated tracery and former chancel south priest's door both re-erected in nave east wall. North chancel wall surviving. North aisle with Perpendicular straight headed 3-light east window, 2 straight headed 2-light north windows, 2 light Y-tracery west window of c.1300, blocked north door of c.1300. Interior: 4 bay north arcade of Per- pendicular octagonal piers, double hollow chamfered arches. Furnishings by James Burroughs for Corpus Christi College Cambridge chapel of 1742 re-erected here after 1824 by the Rev. Henry William Blake, MA and former Fellow. 3 decker pulpit with sounding board, 3-sided communion rails with gates, moulded plinth and shelf, turned balusters, sanctuary panelling. North aisle filled with box pews, nave with open benches, boxes at rear. Nave east wall 2 good mid C18 wall monuments, to north with rococo details signed E. Holl, 1766. Nave south wall monument signed W. Tyler 1750. 6-part Gothick tower door c.1820. Early C19 nave and aisle roofs. Late C19 stone font with wooden cover. See M. J. Sayer Thurning (1972).

Listing NGR: TG0803829446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224010

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sayer, M J, Thurning, (1972)

End of official listing