GROUP OF EIGHT MONUMENTS CIRCA 12 METRES EAST OF EAST CHANCEL WALL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153228

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: GROUP OF EIGHT MONUMENTS CIRCA 12 METRES EAST OF EAST CHANCEL WALL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY, NEW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF EIGHT MONUMENTS CIRCA 12 METRES EAST OF EAST CHANCEL WALL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153228 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 05:58:07.

Location

Statutory Address: GROUP OF EIGHT MONUMENTS CIRCA 12 METRES EAST OF EAST CHANCEL WALL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY, NEW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Painswick

National Grid Reference: SO 86692 09651

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PAINSWICK NEW STREET SO 8609 (part) (south east side)

9/219 Group of eight monuments c.12 m east of east chan- cel wall in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary

GV II*

Two chest tombs, two pedestal tombs, and four headstones. Late C17 and early C18. Limestone. Reading from nearest the chancel away to the east.

(a) Two close-set headstones, one of late C17 with raised oval panel, winged cherub and swags; the other a simple cartouche.

(b) Hexagonal pedestal with domed capping to moulded edge over fluted frieze. Sunk arch-head panels have inset bronze or copper plaques beautifully lettered; earliest recorded is Richard Smith (Mercer), 1727. Cherubs with wings above panels. All set to moulded base on square sub-base with deep curb, formerly railed.

(c) Chest tomb with thick flat table to moulded edge, deep carved lyre ends and good cartcuches to north and south, cavetto base. Remains of inscription, north side, has 16-7; earliest fully legible Gyles Smith (Mercer) 1707; full inscrip- tion to south.

(d) Chest tomb with thick flat table to moulded edge, lyre ends elliptical panel to east and worn cartouche to west, south side has moulded panel with scroll supporters, north with floral decoration; set to flared moulded base. To To Samuel Hopton, 1677.

(e) Lofty pedestal tomb, moulded square top with inset corners, square panels to egg and dart moulding north and south elliptical panels east and west sides; deep moulded base on 2 steps. North side has inset bronze or copper plates to William Hogg, 1800 (but the tomb design is earlier than this). Inscription includes the following:

"A much esteemed gratuitous preacher of the Gospel in the tabernacles of London, Bristol, Rodborough and various other places ...... it is incredi- ble the sums of money he expended in charity".

(f) Two headstones. to the north with good cartouche and two angels' heads; to the south with angel and drapes. Neither of these legible. To east of preced- ing.

An unusually good group, with important historical evidence, in a churchyard more richly endowed monumentally than most.

Listing NGR: SO8669209651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 133406

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

End of official listing