- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- FORTHAMPTON COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153626 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Jun-2019 at 03:17:04.
- Statutory Address:
- FORTHAMPTON COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 87012 31777
SO 83 SE FORTHAMPTON
2/30 Forthampton Court
Country house. Developed as residence for the abbots of Tewkesbury C12-mid C16. Great Hall and solar block probably built by Abbot Thomas Parker C15. North-east wing added by John Wakeman, Bishop of Gloucester, died 1549. Minor alterations by Isaac Maddox, Bishop of Worcester mid C18. Remodelled by Philip Webb for John Yorke 1889-91, further modified by F.S. Chesterton 1913 and by R. Blenham-Bull in 1958. C15 hall rendered, solar block; close- studded timber-framing to first floor, brick facing to ground floor. North-east wing brick with sandstone plinth and diagonal buttresses, remainder of house brick or rendered brick, stone slate roof, brick stacks. Plan: Great Hall with solar block attached at north corner. Chapel and mid C16 block at east corner of hall extended southwards. The whole now comprises three 3-sided courtyards. South-west facade (former entrance front). Triple- gabled, 2-storey former servants wing left (Webb) lit by 12-pane sashes. Two-windowed gable-end of Hall block set back on right also lit by 12-pane sashes. Large bay window in right hand wall of Great Hall (Chesterton 1913) in front of canted stair turret (Webb). Webb entrance tower front right with double plank doors flanked by simple limestone columns supporting curved wood lintel, blind round-headed arch over with moulded stone kneelers. Part of first floor of right-hand wall of courtyard close-studded jettied timber-framing supported on limestone corbels (Webb). Sash- windowed block right of entrance by R. Blenham-Bull 1958 (formerly close-studded jettied block by Webb). Principal features of garden front mid C18 canted bay right. Twin-gabled extension at centre (in position of former canted bay). North east front; gable end of Great Hall at rear of courtyard, behind flat-roofed C20 entrance porch. First floor chapel left of porch, pointed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery in gable end. C20 six-light casement with leaded-panes and segmental head to ground floor. Two-light window with cusped trefoil headed lights and quatrefoil in rectangular surround in right-hand wall of chapel. Two-light eroded sandstone window with stiled-headed lights to ground floor of mid C16 block. Eroded moulded sandstone string between ground and first floor. Eroded stone bosses set in brickwork of first floor. Beasts head gargoyle at east-facing corner. Bosses and gargoyle probably reused from demolished Lady Chapel of Tewkesbury Abbey. Close-studded timber-framed solar block right of entrance. Interior; the Great Hall, 5 bays, trussed collar beams, curved wind braces, moulded wall plate retaining one carved angel corbel. Large original flat-chamfered-window surround with 3-sided head high up in wall right of fireplace. Similar window no longer visible found left of fireplace. Four-arched, flat-chamfered doorway at ground floor level right of right-hand window. Open well staircase (Webb) with turned balusters and open lattice-work panels off hall to first floor chapel. Chapel; 2-bay roof with trussed collar beams matching trusses in Great Hall. Fragments of reused medieval window glass in both windows. Blocked single lancet with mutilated cusped head in corridor leading off chapel. Flat-chamfered coffered beams and tall sandstone Tudor-arched fireplace in former gun room on ground floor at mid C16 block. Billiards Room, library and small hall designed by Webb. Inscription in Latin over fireplace in small hall recording the restoration and enlargement of the house by Philip Webb for John Yorke dated 1891. Webb fireplace in former dining room. History: long association with the abbots and bishops of Tewkesbury and Gloucester and Worcester. Childhood home of Henry Yorke the novelist Henry Green. An important illustration of Philip Webb's attitude to restoration of an historic building. (Philip Webb's restoration of Forthampton Court, Architectural History Review, Vol. 24, P.92 and Country Life, Sept. 27 and Oct. 11, 1979.)
Listing NGR: SO8701231777
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 11 October, (1979)
'Country Life' in 27 September, (1979)
'Architectural History Review' in Architectural History Review, , Vol. 24, (), 92
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing