STURMINSTER NEWTON MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153666

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: STURMINSTER NEWTON MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STURMINSTER NEWTON MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153666 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:45:06.

Location

Statutory Address: STURMINSTER NEWTON MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sturminster Newton

National Grid Reference: ST 78197 13519

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STURMINSTER NEWTON

1140/9/99 NEWTON 04-OCT-60 STURMINSTER NEWTON MILL (Formerly listed as: NEWTON NEWTON MILL)

II*

ST 7813 STURMINSTER NEWTON NEWTON

9/99 Sturminster Newton Mill (formerly listed as Mill) 4.10.60 II* Water grist mill. C16/17, partly reconstructed circa mid C17; extended late C18/early C19. Ashlar and coursed stone rubble; remains of earlier timber-framing in north wall of south range; English bond red brick north range on earlier ashlar plinth. Stone tile and clay plain tile roofs with gabled and half-hipped ends. PLAN: Overall L-shaped on plan; the south range probably date from the late C16 and was timber-framed originally, but was reconstructed in stone circa mid C17; the late C18 or early C19 brick north wing stands on an earlier stone base, which is thought to be the remains of a fulling mill referred to in a deed of 1611. The machinery was replaced in the C19 and the undershot water wheels were replaced by a water turbine in 1904. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. The south range has an ashlar south wall with three casement windows with small panes on the first floor; main entrance on east end with taking-in door above and window to right and in gable above; the north wall of the south range is partly stone and brick with remains of earlier timber-framing and on the north east corner there is a diagonally-set buttress with a weathered set-off. The north wing has an ashlar plinth and is constructed of brick above, the 2-light timber windows have cambered brick arches and the wheel-pit situated between the two ranges now contains the turbine room; small loft window in north gable end. INTERIOR: Low in the west end wall of the south range [on the meal floor] there is a blocked stone Tudor arch doorway; on the stones floor above the floor beams are supported at their north ends by timber posts with moulded corbelled heads; large unchamfered floor beams and joists. The south range has late C16 or early C17 roof structure, the collar trusses [mortice-and-tenoned collars replaced by collars set higher] have two tiers of threaded purlins, threaded diagonal ridgepiece, curved wind-braces and common-rafters mostly intact. Roof of north wing has tie-beam trusses with staggered trenched purlins, diagonally-set ridgepiece, halved and lapped collars and common-rafters intact. The C19 machinery is intact and in working order, including grain bins on the bins floor. There were a pair of under-shot water wheels side-by-side installed in 1849, but replaced in 1904 by a single water turbine. Two of the three pairs of millstones were replaced in 1947 by a pair of hammer-mills. NOTE: A mill on this site was recorded in the Domesday Book. A deed of 1611 refers to a fulling or tucking mill built next to John Young's grist mill. Sturminster Newton Mill is an outstanding early example of a substantial C16/17 water mill with C19 machinery intact. SOURCES: [1] RCHM, Dorset, vol III, 1970, p.284, no.56. [2] Loosmore, P., Clarke, R., Sturminster Newton Mill; Sturminster Newton Museum, booklet no.6, June 1995.



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 102477

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 284
Loosmore, P, Clarke, R, Sturminster Newton Mill, (1995)

End of official listing