- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- LITTLEHOUGHTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154138.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2020 at 12:51:50.
- Statutory Address:
- LITTLEHOUGHTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NU 23120 16464
NU 21 NW LONGHOUGHTON LITTLEHOUGHTON
5/142 Littlehoughton Hall
House. Centre part late medieval or C16; north range 1686 (dated fireplace with initials ERM (Edward and Mary Roddam); south block probably 1818; north- west wing probably early C19, porch late C19. Centre part massive rubble; north range rubble with cut dressings; south block tooled squared stone with tooled ashlar dressings; north-west wing whinstone rubble with cut sandstone dressings; porch tooled stone with tooled-and-margined dressings. Welsh slate roof, except for pantiles on north-west wing, with yellow brick stacks. Plan: square south block and north range form L-plan, linked by the remnant of the medieval or C16 building; single-storey north-west wing to west of end of north range.
East (entrance) front 2 storeys, in 3 parts. Projecting left block of 2 wide bays. Plinth. Right-of-centre flat-topped porch with panelled double doors in chamfered surround under cornice; 12-pane sash in similar surround on left return; overlight above porch. 12-pane sash windows in raised stone surrounds. Hipped roof with central rendered ridge stack; old stepped-and-corniced lateral stack on right return. Right range left bay is oldest part, with blocked square-headed door, inserted 12-pane sash in raised surround, and small lst-floor window. Coped right end gable on moulded kneelers, with end stack rebuilt on old base. 3-bay, C17 far right part has lower eaves but higher ridgeline. At left an inserted casement, with intersecting glazing bars, in richly-moulded doorway with pointed arch within square frame; above it a small casement in oval opening with remains of cable-moulded surround. Centre bay has renewed windows in old recessed chamfered surrounds, lost mullions; right bay behind stable range (q.v.). South front 2 storeys, 4 bays, symmetrical. Plinth and sill bands. 12-pane sash windows in architraves. Moulded eaves cornice. Hipped roof.
West elevation: South block on right has 12-pane sash stair window, with intersecting head, under keyed round arch with imposts, at right; rubble masonry of medieval or C16 part to left. On far left is north range with inserted window in gable-headed cross-passage doorway; 2 old chamfered windows with hoodmoulds on 1st floor. Left projecting north-west wing, with two 12- pane sashes on inner return. North elevation of north range shows blocked roll-moulded window opening to 1st floor and former 2-light mullioned attic window, under gable with reverse-stepped coping.
Interior. Oldest part has large roll-moulded square-headed fireplace, backing on to former cross passage in north wing; doorway from passage has outer chamfered 4-centred arch. On north of passage is rear wall of large blocked kitchen fireplace; at 1st floor level above is a dated fireplace with moulded surround, corbelled-out lintel and foliage-carved panel at base of each jamb. Small 1st-floor window on east of oldest part is set in larger recess, perhaps a former doorway. South block has 6-panel doors, and dog-leg stair with stick balusters and ramped moulded handrail.
Historical Notes: The Hall was held by the Roddam family from the early C14 until 1710. It is recorded that a tower 25 ft. square, with walls 5 ft. thick and a barrel-vaulted basement, was taken down in 1818; the Northumberland County History (Vol.II, p.405) says that the oldest part of the present house is part of this, but its masonry looks more of C16 character, as does the roll- moulded fireplace. This may be part of a wing added to the now-demolished tower.
Listing NGR: NU2312016464
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Bateson, E, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Embleton Ellingham Howick Long Houghton and Lesbury, (1893)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing