THORPE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154440

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1985

Statutory Address: THORPE HALL, YARMOUTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THORPE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154440 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 18:27:09.

Location

Statutory Address: THORPE HALL, YARMOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Thorpe St. Andrew

National Park: THE BROADS

National Grid Reference: TG 25540 08396

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 2508 THORPE ST. ANDREW YARMOUTH ROAD (south side)

10/84 Thorpe Hall (formerly listed 20/2/52 as Thorpe Hall and barn) - II*

Derelict town house of the Paston family, mainly circa 1600, on the site of the palace of the Bishops of Norwich. Built of rendered and colourwashed brick and flint with plain tile roofs. L shaped plan of 2½ storeys, with lower 2 storey wing to north west, single storey porches to north and east, and C19 lean-to, two storey staircase extension to west. 2½ storeyed wing has 4 windowed facade to east, with a porch at the southern end, and off centre entrance door towards the northern end. Gabled C19 porch has circa 1600 core. Pedimented entrance with 4 centred arch and rendered ovolo moulded reveals over original stone ovolo mouldings with barred stops. 4 centered doorway to house, inside, with ovolo moulded stone reveals. Northern doorway to house inserted in 4 light brick mullioned window with moulded brick pediment. Reset C16 roll moulded and stopped frame and 4 centered arch with carved spandrels containing the monogram G and a cockerel rebus. Frame set in C19 surround with colonettes with stiff leaf capitals, 4 centered arch and key block with stiff leaf foliage. Window at ground floor southern end contains hollow chamfered mullions and transom. Fragments of mullions and transoms remain in the others. Ground floor windows have moulded brick pediments, the first floor windows have moulded brick cornices. Flint plinth and moulded brick plat band at 1st floor level. North facade has gable with wide external stack to east and central porch. Scattered fenestration on west wing, north wall of 2 and 3 light hollow chamfer mullion windows, two blocked, and two, without mullions. C19 gabled porch with ovolo moulded 4 centered arched entrance with spandrel panels. Moulded brick pediment over entrance supported on consoles. Inside, roll moulded oak door frame to house. Remains of 6 light brick hollow chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, pedimented at ground and 1st floor levels, on south wall of west wing. South wing has C19 semi- circular bay window on south gable with corbelled brick stack above. Brick dentil eaves to west, moulded timber eaves to east. Parapet eaves with moulded brick kneelers to north and south. End stacks terminate at ridge level. Central axial stack and external stack with roll moulded set back, on south wing. Lower 2 storey western range remains, mainly to eaves, though a section of C19 roof remains at the west ends. 3 light mullion windows on north side west end, with wrought iron lights and stay bars at 1st floor level. C19 northern lean-to passage'and'Cl9 southern canted bay remain to ground floor window sill level. Much of the circa 1600 construction remains inside. Chamfered bridging beams, common joists and double tenoned joist. Close studded wattle and daub partitions. C16 solid tread newel stair and its associated timber frame structure, from ground to first floor, and a winding newel stair to attic. Double butt purlin roof with wind braces. Stone fire place from dining room in store for reinstallation. Cambered arch with incised decoration. Attic fire place in north gable wall with plastered 4 centered, chamfered and stopped arch. Remains of C19 painted thelis pattern on plaster in stair case area.

Listing NGR: TG2554008396

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 228532

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing