Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154678.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 15:55:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71254 73091


CASTLE STREET 1. 5128 (South Side) Vachel Almshouses Nos 1 to 32 (consec) SU 7173 SW 2/420 II GV 2. Founded by Sir Thomas Vachel in 1634 and then moved to this site. See plaques. Rebuilt 1864-67, architect William Henry Woodman. 2 storey cottages in 2 reflecting rows, stepped down to Holybrook in groups of 4. Vernacular style. Red brick with grey brick bands and decoration and with stone dressings. Tiled roofs with crested ridges; red brick ridge chimneys with grey decoration and cogged bands. Nos 5 to 16 and 21 to 32 : 5 windows, 2 being canted dormered bays flanking central entrance and 2 light windows with chamfered mullions. Pointed doorways with shouldered lintels and tumbled brick in arches, strap hinges. Nos 1 to 4 and 17 to 20: also 5 bays but in 3 staggered planes. 1st plane has corbelled 1st floor window to street and a bay to front. 2nd plane now has tower porch with encorbelled parapet, pointed entrance and trefoil headed side window. This part formerly (till 1957) had a turret over. 3rd plane has gabled bay. Low screen wall to street with cast and wrought iron rails and gates.

Listing NGR: SU7124373110


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/10237/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].