WOOLSEY'S FARM BARN AND ATTACHED CATTLE SHELTERS AND WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154804
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
WOOLSEY'S FARM BARN AND ATTACHED CATTLE SHELTERS AND WALLS, SALHOUSE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOOLSEY'S FARM BARN AND ATTACHED CATTLE SHELTERS AND WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 01:53:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOOLSEY'S FARM BARN AND ATTACHED CATTLE SHELTERS AND WALLS, SALHOUSE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodbastwick
National Grid Reference:
TG 33951 13535

Details

TG 31 SW WOODBASTWICK SALHOUSE ROAD (Panxworth) 494/4/119 Woolsey's Farm Barn and Attached cattle shelters 20.02.1952 And walls

GV II

Barn, attached shelter sheds and cattle yard walls. Early-to -mid C18, altered c.1770, and with mid-C19 additions. Red brick, some vitrified and partly on a flint plinth. Thatch roof coverings, except to offshuts which are plain tiled. PLAN: BARN of 2 builds aligned east-west, with mid-C19 SHELTER SHEDS extending south, and enclosing 2 cattle yards. North wall of barn supports lean-to OUTSHUT. EXTERIOR: barn with doorway to south wall flanked by added buttresses. The west part of the barn is earlier, and incorporates vitrified brick. Later eastern part is built of a red brick similar to that used in the 1771 heightening of the farmhouse (item 4/118). Each half of the barn has a double doorway to a threshing floor. East part with slit breathers, west part with lozenge-shaped panel of honeycomb brickwork. INTERIOR: roof structure of 10 bays, with tie beams unrelated to principal rafters. Double butt-purlin roof, with wind braces to upper purlins. Eastern part of barn converted to cart horse stable mid-C19, and retains 3 stalls across gable wall with mangers, stall dividers and tying rings in situ. Northern lean-to used as tack room. To the south of the barn, shelter sheds with hipped roofs, range to east with flint rear wall. Yards formed by sheds enclosed by wall to south. The barn, shelters sheds and enclosure walls form part of an integrated and unusually complete group with the farmhouse (item 4/118), the coach house (item 4/121) the stable (item 4/120), and the cartshed (item 4/122).



Listing NGR: TG3395113535

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228567
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].