REYDON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156016

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: REYDON HOUSE, 1, REDENHALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of REYDON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156016 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:15:57.

Location

Statutory Address: REYDON HOUSE, 1, REDENHALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Redenhall with Harleston

National Grid Reference: TM 24623 83529

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 2483 29/148 5321

REDENHALL WITH HARLESTON, Harleston REDENHALL ROAD (west side), No 1 (Reydon House)

11.9.51

II* GV

House. Late C15/early C16 with C17 extension and C18 and later alterations. Timber-framed, stuccoed and with C18 fenestration. Steeply pitched slate roof to front slope, otherwise pantile. Two storeys and attic with attic window in left gable end. Plan of main range facing street with adjoining parallel rear wings. Front is of five windows, 6/6 sashes in exposed casing. Central doorway with moulded case with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice, flush panelled and glazed door, good porch of wood fretwork with tent-shaped roof, and approached by five moulded stone steps. Wood string course at first floor level. Rear has large two-storeyed wings, plastered timber-framing, with steeply pitched pantile roof with gabled end, casement windows. Brick chimney stacks. The later C17 inner wing is of brick with a fine chequerwork brick front and has mullion and transom windows and also 4 probably original 9/9 sashes with crown glass and thick glazing bars. INTERIOR. The very interesting interior includes a considerable amount of late C15/early C16 timber framing. This is visible or is partly so under floor boards. In the main range above the present ground floor plastered ceilngs survive the beamed ceilings of the early high status house. These have moulded and possibly carved bridging beams and moulded joists and the rooms are both high and large. The roof above the main range appears to have been renewed in the C17. The longer and outer rear wing, however, retains its original crown post roof with coupled rafters, and 4 simple crown posts supporting the collar purlin. In this wing is visible close studded framing of heavy scantling on both floors and above the present plastered ceilings the original bridging beams and joists survive, reported as unmoulded. Moreover an unusual low pitched ceiling has recently been further revealed on the first floor. This has moulded beams and joists and is unusual because it appears to be a consciously designed ceiling inserted under the tie beams of the crown post roof as if for a study or cabinet. The back stairs are also reported as surviving intact. Another ceiling at present revealed has closely spaced flat-faced joists. The beams and joists also survive in the inner wing which is probably late C17. The front left reception retains fine complete panelling in C17 style but which appears to have been installed in the 1860's. The front right reception room has has an early C19 fireplace. On the first floor the right gable end has a jowled post with curved braces visible. A rear wing main reception room has an open fireplace with moulded bressumer. Many 2-panel doors and cupboard doors. HISTORY. Percy Millican in op. cit., p.342, links this house with the Gawdy family, prominent in Norfolk and Suffolk in the late C15 and C16/C17. Robert Gawdy died at nearby Redenhall in 1459. His descendent, Thomas Gawdy, born c.1476, died 1556, is described as Bailiff of Harleston in 1509. His eldest son was Thomas, Recorder of Norwich and Lynn mid C16, and his other two sons, Sir Thomas Gawdy, Justice of the Queen's Bench and Sir Francis Gawdy, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas.

This significant house retains a considerable amount of the structure of a high status house of the late C15/early C16 as well as good features of later periods.

SOURCES. Millican, P., F.S.A., Papers of Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Soc., Vol.XXVI, Part I, 1936, pp.335-90, 'The Gawdys of Norfolk and Suffolk'.



Listing NGR: TM2462383529

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 225947

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing