OLD STABLE BLOCK AND WALL ADJOINING TO EAST APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO WEST OF WOOLHAMPTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156160
Date first listed:
09-Sep-1969
Statutory Address:
OLD STABLE BLOCK AND WALL ADJOINING TO EAST APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO WEST OF WOOLHAMPTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD STABLE BLOCK AND WALL ADJOINING TO EAST APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO WEST OF WOOLHAMPTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 17:18:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD STABLE BLOCK AND WALL ADJOINING TO EAST APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES TO WEST OF WOOLHAMPTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Woolhampton
National Grid Reference:
SU 57631 67518

Details

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/21 Old Stable Block And 9.9.69 Wall Adjoining To East Approximately 10 Metres To West Of Woolhampton House

GV II

Stable block, now classrooms. C18 with additions of circa 1858 probably by John Johnson. Red brick with plinth and plat band; old tile hipped roof with 6 irregularly placed stacks, 4 hipped dormers to south, central cupola with tiled base, timber arched bellcote and ogival lead top with weathervane; 2central 3 bay triangular pediments with clocks in tympana that to north over project- ting arched entrance. 2 storeys and attic; 9 bays, cross windows. North front: central projecting 3 bay block with banded rustication to first floor; large central arch with rubbed brick voussoirs and keystone, flanked by first floor circular windows and ground floor casements with extended keystones. Doorway in second bay from left; blocked archway in second bay from right with stone impost blocks and keystone. One storey block to right with coped parapet, anti 2'blocked arches with stone impost blocks and keystones. South front: centre 3 bays slightly projecting; recessed arches in second, fifth, and eighth bays with stone impost blocks, keystones, and arched windows. One storey block to left with plat band, coped parapet and 2 blocked depressed arches with stone impost blocks and keystones. One storey block to right with plat band, coped parapet and 2 recessed depressed arched panels with stone impost blocks, keystones and arched glazing bar sashes. Wall extending to right approximately 10 metres long and 4 metres high. C18, red brick; stone Doric doorcase with triangular pediment to left, recessed arched panel with stone impost blocks and keystones to right. Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.156.

Listing NGR: SU5763167518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
39683
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 156

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/06342/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].