CHURCH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156954
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE, ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156954 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 19:07:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE, ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71434 73381

Details

ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD 1. 5128 Church House SU 7173 SW 2/237 22.3.57. II GV 2. Early-mid C18. 2 storeys and attic. Altered. South front red brick, moulded painted string over 1st floor windows. plain parapet with stone coping. Old tile hipped roof, chimneys stunted. 3 dormers with moulded cornices, casements. 5 windows on 1st floor, 3 on ground floor, glazing bar sashes. Modern double (4 panel) door with rectangular fanlight of radiating and curved glazing pattern. Wooden doorcase, panelled reveals, panelled pilasters and elaborately carved scroll brackets with supports of cupids and inverted accanthus, crowned by modern segmental open pedimented hood with panelled soffit. Narrow window each side of doorcase. A good modern adaptation. The entrance originally was from the west (altered 1931). Original glazing bars and internal cornice retained in 1st floor north-west room to back. Original modillion cornice survives on pebbledash west front. Interior: staircase with wide oak moulded rail, circa 1740s with ramps and dado and wide turned balusters; continued to basement; 2 pedimented doors to stairs, one segmental, the other triangular. Ground floor front room has fine eared chimneypiece with pulvinated frieze. The room above has marble fireplace with Adam-style surround with swagged frieze having cupids and a lion. In the attic, partition wall retains part of a re-used moulded jetty.

Listing NGR: SU7143473381

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
39161
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12125/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].