HAMPTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1157291

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: HAMPTON COURT, A417

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAMPTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:02:36.

Location

Statutory Address: HAMPTON COURT, A417

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hope under Dinmore

National Grid Reference: SO5204952426

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOPE UNDER DINMORE CP A 417 (south side) SO 55 SW 5/62 Hampton Court 11.6.59 I House. Circa 1427-36 for Sir Roland Lenthall (who had a licence to crenellate in 1434). Altered early C18 by Colen Campbell for Lord Coningsby and remodelled and restored in the early C19 by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for Richard Arkwright. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, lead and plain tiled roofs behind embattled parapets with groups of C19 circular stacks. Quadrangular plan representing the original C15 layout the main surviving parts of which include the gatehouse, the chapel and the porch. The early C18 alterations included the remodelling of the south front and additions to the south-east and south-west. The C19 remodelling included the partial refenestration of the structure, the heightening of the main ground floor rooms to the south and east and numerous additions. Two and three storeys with cellar and chamfered plinth. North entrance front: main part of 1:3:1:3:1 bays composed of large central rectangular gatehouse with flanking three-bay ranges terminating in small square towers. Gatehouse: three levels rising above rest of building with machicolated parapet on moulded corbelling. Two centred arched gateway beneath a square head with quatrefoil tracery in the spandrels, moulded jambs and a hoodmould with head stops. The reveals are grooved for a portcullis and the double doors are original and have nail- studded battens on square framing with a wicket in each fold. The archway is flanked by cruciform loopholes. Above is a C19 archway with a four-centred head, incorporating both upper levels and having a 4-light mullioned window to each level sub-divided by a stone panel with a shield relief frieze. The lower window interrupts a string course. In the left side of the gatehouse is ground floor cruciform loophole and a cusped lancet beneath a square head with a hoodmould on the upper levels. To the right side is a similar window at the intermediate level and a bartizan tower in the angle containing a staircase and having three loopholes. The south side of the gatehouse has an original tall niche with canopied head and vaulted soffit and within, above the ground floor, is a two-bay quadripartite stone rib vault with foliated bosses. The flanking three-bay ranges: the bays adjacent to the gatehouse are carried up higher than the rest of the ranges to form small square towers. The left range is of two storeys divided by a string course. There are buttresses with offsets articulating the bays and flanking two ground floor windows. There are three first floor windows and a further window on the second floor of the tower. The tower terminating this range to the left is of two levels with a string course and has a window on both levels. All windows are cusped lancets with square heads and hoodmoulds with head stops. The right range, is of three storeys with a continuous hoodmould to the ground floor windows. There are two 2-light windows with square head on each floor. The heightened bay adjacent to the gatehouse has a cusped lancet (similarly detailed to those in the left range) on each floor. The square tower terminating the range to the right is of two levels divided by a string course and has a similar lancet on the second level. The chapel adjoins the east end of the north front. It has a gabled roof with an east end plain parapet and finial and side parapets pierced with a trefoil frieze (probably a C19 alteration). It has a continous four-bay nave and chancel. At the east end are diagonal buttresses with offsets ter- minating in tall pinnacles. There is a 5-light east window and three 3-light north windows , all with pointed heads and hoodmoulds. There is also a blocked window to the south-east. The east, south and west front retain no medieval features being largley refaced and C19 windows inserted. On the south side of the courtyard is the C15 porch. Square plan. Two storeys with machicolated parapet and diagonal corner buttresses with offsets. There is a four-centred archway with a hoodmould and a C19 doorway, similarly arched, with traceried infill between the two archways. There is an original 4-light window above with a sill string. The quadripartite vaulted cloisters built around the courtyard are C19 additions. Adjoining the west elevation of the house is a service range also of quadrangular plan and of one and two storeys, similarly detailed to the main building. This service range has a long north-west wing incorporating the former stables and servants' quarters. This is largely C19 and since altered. However, the stables are probably of C16 origin; they are of rubble with ashlar dressings with a machine tiled roof and gable-end parapets with round finials. Five bays aligned north/south with projecting central wing on east side. Single storey and attic. Main east elevation: the central gable end has a blocked opening on each floor level and a right side door. The flanking bays are articulated by narrow buttresses and have large lunette windows, two with doorways beneath. Interior: main house has an early C18 open well stair- case west of the gatehouse with a scrolled wrought iron balustrade and moulded handrail. East of the gatehouse is an early C18 marble fireplace with fluted columns and a coat of arms. The chapel retains part of its C15 ribbed ceiling which is elaborately moulded and painted with ornately carved bosses and there is some original stained glass in the north windows. According to a letter of Vanbrugh's, Talman may have made some plans for the remodelling of Hampton Court and the illustration in Campbell's Vitruvius Britannicus, Vol II, 1717, might represent Talman's scheme for a medievalised symmetrical facade. Early C18 illustrations by Kip and Knyff and later C18 and early C19 illustrations, for example that by Neale of 1826, suggest the building may have a further complicated architectural history. (RCHM Herefs III, p 68-70; BoE, p 141-2).

Listing NGR: SO5204552392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149625

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 68-70
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 141-2

End of official listing