SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157378
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
Statutory Address:
SCHOOL HOUSE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157378.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:37:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCHOOL HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Scorton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25115 00225

Details

SCORTON THE GREEN NZ 20 SE (north side) 7/62 School House 4.2.69

GV II

House, now school offices and boarding house. Early C18. Roughcast, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 5:2 bays. On ground floor in third bay, 4-panel door in chamfered ashlar surround with open pediment resting on brackets. Sash windows in ashlar surrounds, sixth and seventh bays on first floor being taller, and blind window in fourth bay of second floor. Shaped kneelers, ashlar copings. Corniced brick stacks at ends and between bays 2 and 3, 5 and 6. Rear elevation: staircase window. Left return: chamfered quoined doorway, now window. Right return: large external stepped stack, truncated. Interior: rear staircase has turned balusters with inverted bell-shapes near base. Scorton Grammar School (qv) was founded in 1720 by Leonard Robinson, who endowed it with his own house, this building. Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890), p 376.

Listing NGR: NZ2511500225

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
322375
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 376

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02709/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ray Wallace Thompson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].