REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1157495

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157495 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:40:18.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Yazor

National Grid Reference: SO 40434 46450

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YAZOR CP - SO 44 NW 4/96 Remains of Old Church of St John the Baptist 2.9.66 GV II Parish church, later Davenport family chapel, now dis-used. Probably C14 and C15, mostly demolished c1843 to c1855 and partly restored c1858. Sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings and ashlar. Tiled roof with gambrel to north. C15 west tower linked by south nave arcade to c1300 south transept. Tower overgrown by vegetation at time of re-survey (December 1986) is about 40 feet high. East elevation has central ground floor opening with four-centred arch and double chamfers, possibly a C16 doorway within former tower arch. North elevation of south nave arcade has three bays, the right one forming open arch to south-east corner of tower. Arches are two-centred and double chamfered with octagonal piers and moulded capitals, probably C15. The two left-hand arches are filled with mid-C19 ashlar. Central bay has triangular headed C19 doorway with two-leaved oak doors and strap hinges. Weathered buttress to left-hand side. Gambrel roof. South transept has west elevation with one double chamfered arch to left-hand side and a pair of trefoiled lights. Central weathered buttress. South elevation has three stepped trefoiled lights. To the right is a wall plaque for Ralph Tichborne Hinckes JPDL, only son of Rev GH Davenport of Foxley, 1873 - 1944. East elevation has a pair of trefoiled ogeed lights with a quatrefoil in the spandrel. Interior of south transept has roof supported by mid-C19 scissor struts. North wall has one-and-half bays of the nave arcade visible amid C19 red sandstone dressings with recessed quatrefoil containing inscription: IN MEMORY OF IOHN: COLTMAN: DAVENPORT ESQre; died 1858

On the east wall several similar quatrefoils with memorials for John Davenport, Lord of the Manor of West Woodhall, Co Stafford, died 1862, and his widow Charlotte, second daughter of George Coltman of Hagnaby Priory, Co Lincoln, 1805 - 1685. To either side of east window, a pair of large corbel heads, probably C15. To left of window is a floor slab with two incised crosses in circles, C13 or C14. Large bell with Lombardic letters "Ave Maria ...". Re- set piscina in south wall has trefoiled head and no drain. C19 oak communion table has three cinquefoil-headed open panels. Four contemporary benches, two with desks having trefoiled openings. Simple seat and desk has trefoiled and cinquefoiled openings. Late C19 mahogany harmonium by W Bell & Co of Guelph, Canada, with the familiar patent mouse-proof pedals. (BoE, p 328; RCHM, Vol III, p 218).

Listing NGR: SO4043446450

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149777

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 218
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 328

End of official listing