CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1157590

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 15:00:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bridge Sollers

National Grid Reference: SO 41478 42615

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIDGE SOLLERS CP BRIDGE SOLLERS SO 44 SW 5/18 Church of St Andrew 2.9.66 - I

Parish church. Mid-C12, extended late C12, with some C13 and C14 additions, restored 1889. Rubble with ashlar dressings and concrete tile roof. C12 nave, late C12 west tower, C13 north aisle and chancel. West tower of four stages, the upper stage with offset probably C15, a moulded cornice below the crenellated parapet. All stages have a semi-circular headed window, save the first stage which has an ogee head. Nave: south wall supported by two large C19 buttresses. Of three bays, with south door to west end. It is C12 with semi-circular arch of two square orders, the inner order with incised zig-zag ornament. The inner order has moulded imposts and the outer order has imposts bearing carved monsters. The timber- framed porch is C19. The two windows to the east of the porch are C12 and C13, the former a semi-circular headed window, the latter of two trefoiled lights. The north aisle has, two windows, that to west a pointed lancet, to east of two trefoiled lights. Between them a blocked north door with semi- circular arch and square jambs. Chancel of two bays, within south wall windows each of two trefoiled lights and a blocked priest's door. North wall has windows each of one trefoiled light. The east window is of three lights, the outer ones pointed, that in the centre with a triangular head, all under a two-centred head. Interior: tower arch is semi-circular spring- ing from moulded impost blocks. The north arcade of late C12 has three bays, originally with semi-circular arches, that to west distorted. The western pier is octagonal with square chamfered impost and base. The eastern pier is cylindrical with moulded base and abacus and a square capital cut back at the angles. Roof of nave is of C14 common rafter type with straight braces to the collars and slightly raking ashlar pieces. Chancel roof is C19 common rafter type. The lean-to roof of the north aisle is C14 with wall posts rising from corbels. Fittings: dated 1664 with the initials IR and RI cut on the octagonal bowl which stands on a round stem. Re-used C17 panelling of three tiers set on east wall of chancel, the panels of the top tier bearing geometrical designs. East window contains figures of six saints by Powell, 1871. (RCHM, Vol 3, p 21-2; BoE, p 84).

Listing NGR: SO4147642616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149976

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 21-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 84

End of official listing