CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157630 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 06:51:05.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 34556 49618
SO 34 NW; 3/47
Church of St James
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14. Restored 1868. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings. Stone slate and tiled roofs. North-west tower, aisled four-bay nave with north vestry and south porch and two-bay chancel.
Tower has saddleback roof and four stages undivided externally above deep battered plinth with moulded string. West elevation has one central trefoil-headed opening to each of the bottom two stages. Blocked square-headed opening with clock face to third stage. Large square-headed opening to top stage. Gable separated from top stage by moulded string has small central loop. North elevation has central trefoil-headed lancet to the bottom stage above plinth. Rectangular opening to top stage. East elevation has a trefoil-headed opening to top stage and a loop in the gable. South elevation has trefoil-headed open- ing above plinth and over low moulded doorway with two-centred head and two shafts on octagonal bases. Rectangular opening to third stage and a trefoil- headed opening, similar to that on east side, to top stage. North nave aisle has continuous catslide roof from nave. To the west side are two square-headed traceried windows, the right one with two restored ogeed lights; the left similar but with three lights. Between the two is a weathered buttress. C19 vestry to centre is gabled with a central lancet. Its western return has a similar opening but with a ledged oak door and elaborate strap hinges. To the east of the vestry is another 3-light ogeed window. North-east corner has low weathered angle buttresses. East window has a chamfered two-centred arch and three stepped cinquefoil headed lights. Chancel has north elevation with lancet to right-hand side. To the left is a 2-light traceried window. Each light is cinquefoil- headed and above is a quatrefoil. To the left of the last window is a small C19 opening with a four-centred head. Clasping buttress to left corner. East window has three trefoil-headed lights and a large trefoil in tracery above. Low clasping buttress to north-east and south-east corners. South elevation has similar openings to those of north side. To left of the lancet in angle with the south aisle is an angled projection with a loop lighting stairs to former rood loft. South aisle also has continuous catslide roof from nave. Moulded plinth and weathered angle buttresses. Windows correspond to those of north aisle except that there is no east window. Four buttresses, the one to the left with a sundial. West elevation of nave has C12 string in form of a rope moulding to either side of tall window with two-centred head and three ogeed and trefoiled lights, sexfoiled tracery and a moulded label. Beneath the window is a round C12 arch, formerly a doorway, with chamfered imposts and rectangular incised pattern on the label. South porch is restored with elements of C14 trusses. One bay with arch braces and cambered ties. Entry side has enriched bargeboards. South doorway has two-centred arch and continuous square moulding. Nail-studded oak door with strap hinges.
INTERIOR has wagon roofs. Chancel roof is ceiled and has rich C19 decoration with "Alleluia" repeated many times. Nave roof is open and has two large moulded tie beams. Aisle roofs are supported by struts rising from arcades. Chancel has piscina with trefoiled head and octofoil drain. Blocked tomb recess to north side has chamfered arch. Reredos incorporates C17 panelling with arch motifs and caryatids. Late C16 communion table with bulbous legs. Two early C17 chairs with acanthus decoration one with contemporary footstool. C19 choir stalls with attached C17 panelling. Brass on north wall to William Leviot, 1421, has figure of a priest. Above is Francis Smalman, died 1633. The deceased and his wire face each other beneath a canopy with drapes and trumpet-bearing cherubs. Gallants kneel as weepers beneath. Large panelled organ richly painted and with exposed pipes and manual pump donated by John and Mary Cheese for John Clutton, dated 1885. Enriched C19 terracotta floor tiles. Late C19 east window has stained glass depicting The Last Supper and The Resurrection, for John Clutton and his wife, Mary. North-east window is also late C19 and for Isabella Clarke. Chancel arch is 1868, two-centred of two orders with head stops and the inner order supported on shafts, all richly painted. Chancel screen, perhaps C16 has two moulded panels to either side of entry and quatrefoil enrichment. Nave has north arcade with octagonal piers and two-centred arches with two chamfered orders. South arcade has arches with continuous roll mouldings and bands at the springing points. Above both arcades is C19 wall painting with foliated patterns and repeated "IHS" inscriptions. C19 pulpit incorporates C17 panels, with Flemish figured bas-reliefs. Four large acanthus feet and oak steps, both perhaps C17. Font is C19 with four shafts clustered around large central shaft and and octagonal bowl. West window depicts SS Thomas and Cecilia and is dated 1904. Beneath the west window is a large wall monument by Nicholas Read, for Sir John Morgan, died 1767. Grey and white marble with almost life-size angel leaning on portrait bas-relief bust of Morgan's wife Anne who died in 1764. G F Bodley designed painted decoration of chancel, organ and nave arcades, which were executed by the Rev Frederick Andrews, incumbent 1873-1920. Bodley's monument (qv). is in the churchyard near that of Andrews (not included in this list).
Listing NGR: SO3455649617
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 96-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 211-12
End of official listing