HARBOUR WALLS OF MULLION COVE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1158181
Date first listed:
09-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
HARBOUR WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARBOUR WALLS OF MULLION COVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158181 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 15:56:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARBOUR WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mullion
National Grid Reference:
SW 66609 17880

Details

MULLION

SW 61 NE 5/89

MULLION COVE

Harbour Walls of Mullion Cove

II

Pair of harbour breakwaters. The North breakwater built in 1890-2 and the South breakwater 1895-7. Some parts probably earlier. Stone rubble south breakwater. North breakwater of snecked serpentine rubble with granite dressings and with granite setts to top surface. The two breakwaters project from cliffs and change direction at obtuse angles to enclose a small harbour that dries out at low tide. On the inside of the north breakwater are integral stone steps and over the outer seaward side a shelter wall, probably later, with a raised walkway on its inner side. The south breakwater is linked to a causeway at its landward end by two later bridges supported on steel joists. Railings are modern.

Mullion Cove was especially important for pilchard fishing, later superseded in the C19 by crab and lobster fishing. The harbour has remained largely unaltered.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 June 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
64669
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04426/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Froggatt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].