Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158418.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Dec-2021 at 00:51:33.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 15112 87264


DAVIDSTOW DAVIDSTOW SX 18 NE 2/132 Church of St David 17.12.62 GV II*

Parish church. Probably C15. Extensively restored in 1875 by Hine of Plymouth; the restoration financed by the Pearce family. Snecked stone rubble with roughly coursed ashlar slate stone to tower. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one. Plan: In probably C15 or early C16 the church comprised nave and chancel, 5 bay arcades to wide north and south aisles and west tower of 3 stages. Prior to the restoration Polsue described the church as far beyond mediocrity in its design and sculptured ornamentation. In circa 1875 the outer walls of the chancel and north and south aisles were rebuilt, the roofs largely replaced and the church refurnished. Exterior: Fine tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses and crocketted finials. Rectangular stair turret on north side. Windows in north and south aisles with 3- light Perpendicular C19 tracery and 5-light windows with C19 Perpendicular tracery in chancel and east end of north and south aisles. Gabled C19 south porch with waggon roof reusing earlier carved wall plate. South door of fine quality with 4-centred hollow chamfered arch with carved florets in hollow. Interior: Walls unplastered. Slate flag floors. 2 centred tower arch. C19 waggon roofs with part of reused carved wall plate in chancel. C15 5-bay arcades to north and south aisles with type A (Pevsner) piers moulded bases and capitals. Unusual font possibly C15 or earlier; square base to bowl with large curved spade stops and chamfered sides. Round moulded shaft, originally also with 4 thinner shafts at corners. Remains of circa C15 bench ends in east end of south aisle and nave. Memorials: fine ledgers stones including those of Richard Betenson and Thomas Bettenson, 1668 and 1693, John Parlon of Treglasta (qv) 1693, Francis Nicholls of Trehane (qv) 1674, and William. Pearse 1638. Memorial to Pearse family in porch, erected by rate payers of Davidstow to express thanks for new church. East window of south aisle signed by O'Connor and Taylor, London, 1876. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970. Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1867, reprinted 1974.

Listing NGR: SX1511287264


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16927/20
Rights: © Ms Sarah Bolt. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].